Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82655 - 10/19/99 06:31 PM Operating a Sound Sportfishing Charter
6SaltFish Offline
Alevin

Loc: Redmond, Wa.
Wanted to tap the knowledge on this web-site and ask if anyone knows about how much it would cost to purchase a license to run a charter service for on the Sound. For obvious and necessary reasons there is a moratorium on commercial fishing licenses, but I understand that sportfishing charters are classified as commercial. Where are these available? I would have to imagine after the initiative passes there will be a lot more available. I understand that they are transferrable.

Appreciate the help!

#82656 - 10/20/99 09:23 AM Re: Operating a Sound Sportfishing Charter
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Call the Dept. of fish and game, ask for Licencing dept. They will give you the name of a broker in Seattle who sells the transferable licences for current holders, last I checked they were going for over a 1000.00 each rod and I dont think you can get just one. They usally have 4 rod licences at minimum. You will also be required to get you Coast gaurd "6 pack" licence unless you want more people on your boat than 6, which I believe if im not mistaken could be a Master licence. I just recieved the phamplet from the Coast gaurd and hopfully will be taking my test by the first of the year, You are also required to record your hours spent behind the Helm before the testing to see if you qualify. The Coast gaurd can give you more details on that.
Anyway I hope this gets you going in the right direction as you can probably figure out Im going to be ready just in case things turn around in the next few years because licences could skyrocket.

See ya on the water

Bob D

#82657 - 10/20/99 11:05 AM Re: Operating a Sound Sportfishing Charter
6SaltFish Offline
Alevin

Loc: Redmond, Wa.
Thanks BoB D!

I figured there was an "easy" but expensive way to do it. I have toyed with the idea of fishing for hire for awhile. Sounds like a cool way to at least cover gas. I am not sure I am real excited about having "paying" customers on my boat if they turn out to be rude, etc.. half way through a trip. I fished with a guide once who had a group that got drunk and after a rod went off and the fish broke off a guy grabbed a rod and threw it overboard claiming it didn't catch fish. Wouldn't take many of those to get burned out fast. There does seem to be enough people interested in a relaxing trip out on the Sound, and with the possibility of coho, pinks, dogs and spotty areas of kings (and of course balckmouth) I think it might be worthwhile. I dearly hope the ned of netting (non-indian) is in site. I was at Shipwreck the other day and noticed a small wall of commercial boats with their nets strewn across Possession Point. Pulled up my gear and ran over there to see what exactly they were doing. There was a sportfishing charter there discussing it with them already. We decided to fish North of them since whatever was heading South was dying in their nets, coho and all. They were supposedly targeting Chums. After fishing Possesion for awhile we quit. Real disheartening.

I guess I should admit that I never will expect to make a living on our threatened species as a guide. However, I love fishing and being on the water so much that if I could actually generate some positive cashflow from my "downtime" I may actually stay married for a little while longer. At least when I tell my wife I am going to work I won't be lying anymore. I have even considered asking guys to just help with gas and bait and I will try to get them into fish. It seems like things have imporoved a lot and with less pressure I would love to see healthy stocks prevail.

#82658 - 10/20/99 11:12 AM Re: Operating a Sound Sportfishing Charter
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
As of right now, charter permits are limited entry and can usually be purchased for anywhere from $500-$1000 a rod. Being limited entry, like any other permit, the price is subject to whatever the seller thinks the permit is worth. Dock Street Brokers in Seattle usually has a couple kicking around.

There are a couple different trains of thought on what will happen if 696 passes. One is that the state will sell additional charter permits, which they have been buying back for the past few years. The other is that there will be no increase in charter permits, thus making the current ones worth more money.

As far as getting a CC license is concerned, if you have enough sea time you can go with the Masters License to whatever tonage you qualify for, or go with the 6-pack charter license. Both tests are nearly identical, but if you get the Masters you can upgrade every five years, while the 6 pack limits you to just that, a 6-pack. Obviously there's more to it than that, but that's the basics.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cfinlip, Fishbait, gkohler
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 669 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |