LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83558 - 12/02/99 07:39 PM Some trivia about Hot chocolates post on WD-40.
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Heres some interesting trivia...
WD stands for War department, 40 is just the next number pulled in a long sequence of numbers that the Dept. used. It was developed back before WW2 for the soldiers to cary into the feilds. The Dept. was trying to develop a Lube that would work in a variety of situations on numerous different mechanical devises, Guns ect, It got put into that warehouse by Area 51 I think where all the stuff that dosent make the grade goes (just kidding about area 51). Anyway it dident stand up to harse enviornments. As we all know it washes off easily in the rain. But was still a good Lube. The Dept never patented it and someone got ahold of the reciepe and Produced it for civilian use. It is made up of mostly Cod liver oil and some natural and synthetic components. But if you read the can the reciepe was deviated on and isnt exactlly what the War dept created. I heard this from someone a long time ago and it may be bull. So before (Noodlerodder) or anyone else says Im full of S@#t please remember that I dont know if it is absolutly true, I just heard it somewere long ago. If someone can confirm or knows somthing different please grace us with your knowledge.
Also I use it on my hands, and sometimes on my lures, usally with another scent also. I also spray it on terminal gear and reels after fishing, especially if it rained and I dont want stuff to corrode while its drying out at home or in the feild.

Bob D.

#83559 - 12/03/99 02:01 AM Re: Some trivia about Hot chocolates post on WD-40.
ironhead Offline
Parr

Loc: Richland,Wa.
actually WD 40 means : water displacement 40 is for the 40th recpie 70% stoddard solvent ,basicly paint thinner 10% alcohol 5% jasmine 5% wetting agent 10% propriety info, just a liitle bit of true trivia also UHMW stands ultra high molleclar weight nylon. tough stuff, machines resonably good but you cant grind on at all.Hope you enjoyed the intersting facts

#83560 - 12/03/99 09:18 PM Re: Some trivia about Hot chocolates post on WD-40.
wit45cal Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup WA
Actually,I think the UHMW is ultra high molecular weight polyethylene. Nylon is a trade name similar to kleenex. Recycled UHMW is available at a discounted rate and various sizes behind the humane society in Tacoma at a firm named UltraPoly and/or PSI. This place already markets bumper strips to the marine industry. It is available from very thin (.250 maybe less) to 6.000 inches thick in sheet form up to 48 by 144 I think. They also have a rem pile that you can purchase from if you wish (various blocks and sheets). The stuff has a fairly low coefficient of friction and is very durable. It holds threads and thread inserts quite well. It does not, however, like heat. I am going to try painting the bottom of my sled with a new product which is a spray on Teflon (PTFE) similar to the cooking coating. I will let you all know how much speed and/or fuel economy I gain. The drifters could benefit by easier upstream rowing.

#83561 - 12/06/99 04:14 PM Re: Some trivia about Hot chocolates post on WD-40.
river dog Offline
Alevin

A question about wit45cal's info. Do you think the thin UHMW polyethylene would be a good material to "glue" to the bottom of an aluminum drift boat. I don't know how well it takes adhesives. Also, are there products that will allow the replacement of the material - something to make the adhesive release if you have to replace the poly. Thanks for any info you can provide. Fish on!

#83562 - 12/06/99 04:17 PM Re: Some trivia about Hot chocolates post on WD-40.
river dog Offline
Alevin

note for last post...I am aware of the thicker poly for bottoms but I think it's too heavy and I like leaving the hull without holes.

#83563 - 12/09/99 11:30 PM Re: Some trivia about Hot chocolates post on WD-40.
wit45cal Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup WA
Riverdog- The folks at Ultrapoly could tell you about any adhesives that would work. I am nearly positive that it exists. I know that other plastics are available as thin as .062 inches. Polypropylene, Teflon and pvc for instance.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 710 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |