LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84616 - 01/09/00 11:47 PM release it twice, punch it twice?
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Fished a hole on a wild-kill river with eggs and caught a hen with a distinguishing mark on its tail...it was a native, and I released it. A couple hours later, when my buddy suggested we head for a cup of coffee, I begged for a few minutes and tied on a pink worm. Caught the same hen, and released it again (hey! there's a few firsts: first steelie on a rubber worm, first fish caught twice, first fish released twice!).

My question to you runs thus: I punched the fish the first time I released it...should I have punched it again the second time I released it? Because I didn't...

Thanks for your advice.

FYI, the dollies seem very very pleased to see those pink worms...particularly after they've looked at eggs for awhile.

#84617 - 01/10/00 01:49 AM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Fishkisser, You just provided a great example of how C&R works, 1 fish provided 2 opportunities. A fishing partner of mine had a similar experience, he caught a wild fish on a small stream with a very tell tale mark, the next day a mile or two up stream he caught the same fish again and he said it gave him a great second ride. To answer your question, I'd punch it twice, I also believe it's the law.

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 01-09-2000).]

#84618 - 01/10/00 03:50 AM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Fishkisser, puncher twice. Looks good on the card, and in the bar.

#84619 - 01/10/00 10:38 AM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

The regs. make no provisions for your situation. Common sense says to only punch it once because 1) you know it's the same fish and 2) WDFW doesn't treat released fish as the same one when they interpret the data of the turned in punch cards.

However..........

A release is a release so you have to record it. If a warden was in the bushes watching your every move(rare these days) and he saw you not punch your second release.....he'd nail you because you couldn't definitively prove it was the same fish.

Better to be safe and punch it!

#84620 - 01/10/00 12:36 PM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I'd really double check all the regs. I know they have a C & R on the back of the punchcard. Did you punch on the front or the back? I'm under the understanding that like with Salmon you don't have to punch a C & R fish. You can (for the WDFW census) but isn't necessary. I actually had a game warden watch me C & R a fish, and didn't say a word to me about it, except it was a nice native. I never punched a thing. So, beats the hell out of me. I guess this is a matter you actually need to talk to the WDFW about. They're the ONLY ones who can truly read those stupid regs anyways. (I think you need to have a lawyer to decipher them)

tight lines

------------------

Northwest River Fisherman

#84621 - 01/10/00 03:05 PM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle/port angeles Washingto...
Ok... To the best of my knowledge, unless they have changed it, you DO NOT have to punch a C&R.. I believe it is a voluntary thing... Just simply for "research" or something...

#84622 - 01/10/00 04:03 PM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I'll qualify the same way...to the best of my knowledge...you do have to punch the back side for C&R fish, but I have never seen it enforced (which come to think of it makes it voluntary). WDFW wants release info so they can apply a hooking mortality percentage and include this in the total catch. But if you release more than 30, you don't have any more room on the back of your card and I can't see a Gamey being that hardassed.

#84623 - 01/10/00 04:13 PM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
Steelheader boy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia Wa.
correct if I'm wrong but isn't all info on cards used to set quotas for sportsman and featherheads, so basicly ,if I don't keep it,I don't punch it...no kiss no tell
Tight lines...<*)><<

#84624 - 01/10/00 08:51 PM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
fishguy Offline
Alevin

It looks like we are supposed to record all fish, whether kept or released. On the steelhead card item 3.)"Immediately upon catching and either keeping OR releasing a steelhead over 20" in length and before fishing again, you must record in ink..."

As far as not recording fish because it might mean more for the Tribes, they can read this BB and say the same thing about our #s and on it goes.

#84625 - 01/10/00 10:07 PM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I was also under the impression this was strictly voluntary and I have not been punching. My thoughts are that the more that are punched the more "healthy" the stock appears. But, maybe I've been commiting a sin.

#84626 - 01/11/00 12:20 PM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
Steelheader boy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

ok your are correct in that we are supposed to record all fish , thats fine , but for me I have not turned in a card in at least 10 years ( I'll eat the 5 bucks my choice)...
tight Lines
<*)>><
I'm not impressed with the way the state is managing this fishery....

#84627 - 01/11/00 08:36 PM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
fishguy Offline
Alevin

Steelhead Boy, you are not alone in not turning in your card, only a small % of the cards are returned. You complain about the way the fishery is managed in the state yet you and others purposely try to under report the catch. How can you complain about the management when one of the most important tools for management (catch) is bogus? Don't complain about the tribal numbers when ours are no better.

#84628 - 01/12/00 01:33 AM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
I have to agree with Steelheader Boy, we all know that the state is managing jobs, not fish. why punch a fish (especialy a hatchery) that you release. Although I do turn in my card, noone will ever convince me of its value as a tool to guage a particular run. There is no man on earth who knows all of the variables that a fish must endure while in the salt. No doubt that commercial fishing (tribal/non) and sportfishing don't improve the stocks either. As sportsman, whether we record/report is irrelevent if we don't release the fish. Personally, I love to fish and although I do keep a few, would have no problem with 100% c&r.

#84629 - 01/12/00 07:58 PM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
duke Offline
Parr

Loc: Moscow, ID, USA
Hey Fishguy, Right on! Steelhead boy if you don't like the way the state is managing the fisheries quit being part of the problem. The state seems to not have many ways to evaluate the overall fish run sizes so witholding any information is a hindrance to their job. Which, I think everyone on this board knows could use a little help. Fact is (at least I really hope so) that there must be some fish managers out there trying to do the right thing so why not help them out a little, it won't hurt you one bit.

Duke

#84630 - 01/13/00 11:03 AM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
Steelheader boy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

A played the game for 10 years, turning in my card etc. for what!!! I've watch the fish runs depleated to there present state! A lot of good thats does.Tribel quotas are set by reported catch,so if catch reports are down than shoulded tribal catch be down.There not!I can't even fish for steelhead on the Nisqually but they can and keep there catch (not that I would ) so where is the justice? the system must work for all of us even ESPECIALLY THE FISH!! Only we sportsman who vote can make a change.....

------------------
Tight Lines
<*)>><

#84631 - 01/13/00 02:01 PM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
I once heard a rumor that if you don't turn your card in the WDFW will record it has a fully punched card and adjust the allocation accordingly. Anybody else have a perspective on this? If that is the case it would certainly provide further incentive to turn your card in

#84632 - 01/14/00 01:10 AM Re: release it twice, punch it twice?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I know with salmon cards if you forget you'll get a nasty gram in the mail and a survey to fill out in replacment of your card which costs the dept postage, extra time, etc. Obviously I forgot to turn mine in one year.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1442 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |