THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92866 - 07/16/00 03:16 AM Forgive and Forget??
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Hi Everyone ... I recieved an email from Fishslayer AKA Lureman asking that we forgive his BB sins and be allowed back on, promising that he'd 'behave' . Impressed that he had the initiative to ask, I told him that I'd leave it up to the board memebers. So ...

1) leave some feedback on the board under this heading, or
2) email me at rlball@olypen.com if you'd rather not have your feedback viewed in public

and I'll run with the general concensus. Thanks in advance

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#92867 - 07/16/00 04:34 AM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bob. Hope you're having a good summer in AK. -- I believe in your topic heading, to forgive and forget, if this person seemed genuinely contrite in his message to you, and if the attitude and behavior are appropriately changed if he is allowed back on. Fishslayer recently started posting on our BB and he got off to a bad start in his first couple of posts. I was aware of the history here, so I e-mailed him stating I believe in second chances and that if he kept his posts about fishing and non-offensive we'd give him only one more chance. So far his only post since was benign. Maybe some forgiveness and some earned acceptance of this person, who wants to belong to something good like this BB, will help better this young man? Time may tell. He did not take my suggestion to change his moniker for a new start. If the members vote is to let him back on he may not be able to shake the image he has created and have a frustrating time, so I hope he would do that for his own good. - That's my 2 cents and 1 vote for another chance. - Steve

[This message has been edited by Reel Truth (edited 07-16-2000).]

#92868 - 07/16/00 06:40 AM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think most of us had the advantage of growing up in the pre-Internet era, where the expression "Ready, Fire, Aim" was a joke and not a description. From this perspective the simple recommendation is "Let him back on, but he has to realize he's on 'double, secret probation' (aka 'best behavior')." That's my official view.

But here's my unofficial gut reaction: (a) I think 'Fishslayer' is a young, impulsive person -- under age 30 in any event; (b) most young people don't really change even if you give them second and third chances -- any more than old fellows do; (c) but if Fishslayer actually sees some value in his being allowed to participate on the Board then he'll be big enough to apologize under his own name and (d) he knows that as a condition of being let back on that "third strike you're out", and realizes that the Board is about constructive advice then reinstate him. Otherwise, forget it: stay angry and write about it, but do so on another bulletin board and leave Bob's place alone.

If he wants to vent off-line about anything and everything -- starting with this post -- then shoot me an email and I can turn it around overnight. (I'm at bawest@pacific.net.sg.)

#92869 - 07/16/00 11:13 AM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
You have my vote to let him back on. If he is sincere about a new start we will soon know. "to err is human to forgive divine".

Don't forget Ephesians 4:32

Sincerely,
Doubletake

#92870 - 07/16/00 11:28 AM Re: Forgive and Forget??
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Why not. Like Snags said, Double secret probation. One more synical outburst, and it's a life sentence. What the He*l, I made a mistake once. Keep it low key, because most of the people I hunt and fish with, think I'm perfect. I would hate to dissapoint them. LOL. How about a group apology, and we will return with a group hug. Tight lines Bob.

#92871 - 07/16/00 11:40 AM Re: Forgive and Forget??
EricW Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Aberdeen,WA
I've pulled a few bonehead moves in my earlier days. One case in particular I was given a second chance and I made the most of it...it changed my view of people and life and I haven't forgotten that to this day.

The issue here is sincerity. If your gut tells you he is truly remorseful...give hime one chance. If it seems like a snow job...let him chat somewhere else with the pond scum of humanity.

#92872 - 07/16/00 01:05 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
corky Offline
Smolt

Loc: Port Angeles Wa.
Like Snagly said, "three strikes and your out". One last chance. My .02

#92873 - 07/16/00 01:49 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Chris Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa
This site is one of the only reasons I get on the internet so give him one more chance and then if he misbehaves then cut his wire.

Chris

#92874 - 07/16/00 01:55 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Fishin Farmgirl Offline
Smolt

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Bob,

I've blown it in MY life at times when it comes to communication! It's a slippery thing!

If the poster to this forum has decided to be constructive and part of a HEALTHY, SUPPORTIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE community, then I vote to give him another shot!

It's difficult and embarrassing to walk back into an online community, (or ANY community), after offending someone. If this fellow's willing, then I imagine he's been a bit humbled. NONE of us have 'arrived'...we're all in some sort of 'process'in this life. There's lots to learn about fishing AND life on forums like this one. I'm a believer in giving the PEACE sign with BOTH fingers up...not just the middle one...so...C'mon back friend, and try again!!!

A SIDE NOTE:
Tom...of the fish counting variety, says Hello (while spitting salmon scales outa his mouth and laughing heartily!)...and, of course, beautiful Molly as well! (He got skunked on the Sky last week!!!) Hope all is well with you!

Take Care!
L

------------------
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds!" Albert Einstein

#92875 - 07/16/00 02:08 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
I can't believe you are giving him this much attention.

#92876 - 07/16/00 02:58 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Anonymous
Unregistered

People deserve second chances, but must be held accountable for their actions. If they are willing to make amends for previous actions and understand what happens if they don't. Give them a chance.

I also believe age is a factor on peoples actions. We have no idea of peoples age when they post topics on the internet. Of course we can guess from what we read. I think he is a kid with some misguided practices and beliefs. He can't learn if he can't participate.

Tight Lines

------------------
Marty
Steelheader.net marty@steelheader.net

#92877 - 07/16/00 04:34 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
I keep hearing about age as a factor. I have to say outright that is bunk. Half of you would drop your rods if you knew how old I am. The other half would shake their heads. If a person is going to be a pain, they will be. No age is going to effect it. It is all in the maturity of the person. I know 50 year olds going on 12. And I know 15 year olds going on 70. That said, three strikes and your out.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#92878 - 07/16/00 05:51 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Bob and all the others:

I don't agree....let him stew....Shut him off for 3-4 months...that's not a long time but will give him a chance to see the "error of his ways".....maybe???

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#92879 - 07/16/00 10:08 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
DanO Offline
Smolt

Loc: anadromous, pacific,n.w.
Hey Bob, How about posting his E-mail,or excerpts from it, get a better idea if he really means it.

#92880 - 07/16/00 10:34 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bob,
It would seem to me that a 1-3 month suspension would suffice with the understanding that any future transgression within the first year would result in a total ban.

We all make mistakes. Part of taking responsibility for them includes accepting the resulting sanctions and then going on.

John

[This message has been edited by JohnRowley (edited 07-16-2000).]

#92881 - 07/16/00 11:49 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Okay coming from the person who has the biggest mouth of all, if would be very hypocritical to say "Dont let him back".
Those who know me and you know who you are, know I have the biggest smartest loudest mouth there is and I am always getting in trouble because of it.
Let him back but if he screws up make it double payback...if he screws up this board should vote on a punishment for him.
--
Ryan

#92882 - 07/16/00 11:52 PM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Swami Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everett,Wa
I believe you sould forgive, but I know a lot of people will not forget. I think we sould give him a chance and hope his attitude changes, it sounds like his Email is really sincere. No one is perfect. Its just a BB.

#92883 - 07/17/00 01:20 AM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not give hem another chance ( don't know of his previous blunders), but another out-burst and, END OF THE LINE , NO FORUM FOR YOU!

------------------
To Hell with the Antis!

C.D

#92884 - 07/17/00 10:06 AM Re: Forgive and Forget??
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
i defended him not knowing he had only changed his name.
But i think he has already come back.
Check the profile of one gonefishin, has a stern way of talking, is from the oak harbor area and is in law enforcement.
If he can keep it fish related and there is no threats of shooting a kayaker or tuber on some river or from behind some trees, then let him stay.
He can not hide, his demeaner is very clear as he posts.

elmtree (woody)

#92885 - 07/17/00 10:50 AM Re: Forgive and Forget??
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
I can't beleive we are giving him all this time and effort,he's just here to stir the [Bleeeeep!] and create conflict , this guy and his buddies from another BB are laughing their ass off at all the simpathy they are generating here and we are feeding their fire...DUMP HIM... too late he's already back

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 07-17-2000).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1436 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |