Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96313 - 09/20/00 10:57 AM Snohomish System coho
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
A lot of members at our club meeting last night reported that they have been seeing a lot of coho in the Snohomish. Some have been catching/releasing a few incidental to cutthroat fishing and have noticed a high marked fish ratio. Why don't we put some pressure on WDFW to open at least a selective fishery on marked coho in the Snohomish and Skykomish and possibly the Snoqualmie. I've noticed similar comments about coho in the Snohomish on other posts on this board. I think some calls to Curt Kramer (biologist with WDFW Region 4) at 425-775-1311 ext 101 are in order.

Beezer

[This message has been edited by Beezer (edited 09-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Beezer (edited 09-20-2000).]

#96314 - 09/20/00 11:21 AM Re: Snohomish System coho
Griz Offline
Parr

Loc: Gold Bar, WA, USA
I have beeh hooking silvers in the sky for the last 3 weeks at Sultan. I had 3 on in an hour this morning.

#96315 - 09/20/00 06:50 PM Re: Snohomish System coho
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Curt was not in but a voice mail is better than nothing, I will keep trying.

Doubletake

#96316 - 09/20/00 09:11 PM Re: Snohomish System coho
chumkiller Offline
Parr

Loc: snohomish
Amen. We paid for those fish. No reason we should have the fishery. As a side note to this issue I know that the hatchery managers and such are pushing for a hatchery only king season on the Snohomish system next year. We only have to convince the powers that be in Olympia!

Tight lines!

#96317 - 09/20/00 11:45 PM Re: Snohomish System coho
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Beezer, The Sky does have alot of Silvers in it. Anybody with eyes can go out there and see all the fish jumping around. I lost a couple bright Coho while fishing a small barbless spinner, and unfortunately witnessed a guy walk out with one. Ive seen three silvers takin illegally already this year. I cant believe they shut it down because of a "pre-season" forcast. The Wallace got something like 4 thousand Kings, summer runs were very abundant, and now the Coho have shown in very good numbers, BUT us sportsman take it in the shorts.

For now....RELEASE THE COHO!

fish on...
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#96318 - 09/21/00 02:27 AM Re: Snohomish System coho
8 FOOT LEADER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I emailed and informed Jeff Koening ( WDFW Director ) He should be talking to Kurt Kramer in the morning and letting us know soon on the silver fishery status. I'll keep you posted.

Your welcome.

#96319 - 09/21/00 02:44 AM Re: Snohomish System coho
J.C.B Offline
Smolt

Loc: Marysville Washington
I do believe they are trying to protect the even year humpy's and this is the best way to obtain the feat. But catch and release is in order. They already locked us out of good king fishing. They best not screw with the chum season THAT would ruin my whole year. I enjoyed smoking them last year and the were delicious. J.C.B

#96320 - 09/21/00 03:21 AM Re: Snohomish System coho
thisbudsforu Offline
Fry

Loc: yuppieville usa (Kirkland)
oh god! if they mess with the chums i think ill be gettin some tickets this november. fish on!

#96321 - 09/21/00 12:01 PM Re: Snohomish System coho
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Both the P.I. and the Everett Herald had interesting comments on this topic this morning. Bottom line is WDFW is monitoring the coho run and will determine if an opener is feasible hopefully by late next week. Watch the WDFW web site for a rule change.

Beezer

#96322 - 09/21/00 08:23 PM Re: Snohomish System coho
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Fellow Fisherman,

Is it more fun to catch Salmon in a river rather than out in the salt??? I certainly think so...

Lets hope they open it up, and 8 ft...YOUR THE MAN!

#96323 - 09/21/00 10:44 PM Re: Snohomish System coho
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Sky-Guy, have to disagree, most salmon i've got river fishing are either dark or are in the process of turning, they are tired and dying, give me an ocean fish anyday...

#96324 - 09/22/00 03:05 AM Re: Snohomish System coho
8 FOOT LEADER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

AKKINGS-

I fish out by P.A.,Neah, & Sequim. Ocean fresh is nice, BUT too easy! When you can go out to Neah and catch 20 silvers in 10 minutes, thats fun! But I personally get more enjoyment out of a Silver onces its got a hook to it, and it weighs about 1-5 lbs more from all the eating its done on the way into the river system. Those same coho you caught that averages 2-5 lbs are about 5-8 when they get into the river. Besides its more of a challenge to get them to hit in the river.

#96325 - 09/22/00 04:17 AM Re: Snohomish System coho
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
8 Ft,
My thoughts exactly. When fishing salmon in a river, it is much more challenging than kicking back with your downriggers and fishfinders, with a beer in hand...

River fishing has more soul to it, more finess, and much more of a reward. If you fish the rivers on the right days after good autumn rains, you will get fresh fish that have just shot op the river, kinda like knowing when the good powder is going to fall and snowboarding the next day. I think I will start a new topic on this one...see main board.

Sky Guy.

#96326 - 09/23/00 02:06 AM Re: Snohomish System coho
8 FOOT LEADER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Sky-guy

Where do you fish on the sky? I have a sled and fish it all over.

I couldnt agree more. By the way, I've caught Silvers chrome as mag wheels on a low rider all the way up by reiter. It just depends on where the fish are headed and when it rains.

#96327 - 09/23/00 10:18 PM Re: Snohomish System coho
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

8ftleader, sorry, should have mentioned I'm fishing S.E. Alaska, off Prince of Wales Is., strictly mooching and in depths from 45 to 250 ft. (thats right silvers on the bottom in 250 ft. of water) they also average 10-12 lbs. and 15-16 lbs. aren't uncommon. Believe it or not there is alot of skill and finesse needed in landing these deep water fish, they are notoriously light biters and once hooked they can get from the bottom to the surface in just a few seconds, though many get away the ones that stay pinned are a blast. Once I get back to Wash. (mid-Sept) its hard to get very enthused about 5 lb. silvers, much rather chase steelhead. Good fishing.

#96328 - 09/27/00 03:30 PM Re: Snohomish System coho
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
ak kings, when fishing that far down, do you ever hook any halibut? cuz when i used to work up there, i would hear stories about trollers hookin big ole yhalibut and having them jus take all there gear, when they did hook one..has that ever happened to you? jus curious..ever brought a big halibut to the surface on light line? well thanks for every thing..***schitzo***

#96329 - 09/27/00 04:17 PM Re: Snohomish System coho
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Schitzo, Yeah, on occasion we do get big butts but most in this particular area are 50 lbs. and under. Most of the guides that work the area I'm fishing strictly mooch (downrigger guys get outfished about 4/1 by moochers) mainly 8.5 to 9 ft rods with penn 109 or similar reels and 25 to 30 lb. test. Most eveyone uses salmon gear to halibut fish because both species can be found in the same area and because the halibut are generally small. I've fished this area 11 years and usually get 6-10 each year over 100lbs with a few over 200, my gear can handle up to 125lbs. fairly well, anything bigger usually gets handlined or broke off. Most guides in the area try to promote releasing the big ones (all females)As for the trollers in the area, they don't usually get there gear to close to the bottom and they troll pretty fast so I don't think they get many. Good fishing

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 1373 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |