Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98275 - 10/23/00 10:59 PM Bark Hole on Sol Duc
NativeSteelhead Offline
Alevin

Loc: Port Orchard
Can someone please tell me how to get to the bark hole on the Sol Duc river? I know the area pretty well.
Thank You
tight lines

#98276 - 10/23/00 11:39 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Martin Shallow Offline
Egg

Take the Mora-La Push Rd toward Three Rivers Resort. Hang a right on the Goodman Mainline (3000 Rd)and it is the second or third turnout on the left. Usually where all the cars are parked.

#98277 - 10/24/00 02:46 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Ever notice that Bob doesn't give directions right to the spots he's fishing? Even though the Bark hole is known, how about using personal e-mails to give directions instead of posting it for the world to read and go to.

#98278 - 10/24/00 03:28 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
DanO Offline
Smolt

Loc: anadromous, pacific,n.w.
Agree with Rich on this.

#98279 - 10/24/00 11:32 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
NativeSteelhead Offline
Alevin

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich:
Ever notice that Bob doesn't give directions right to the spots he's fishing? Even though the Bark hole is known, how about using personal e-mails to give directions instead of posting it for the world to read and go to.
Sorry, I figured that the "bark Hole" was so widely know that it would be no surprise. I fish other spots on the Duc where I only see boats that come down. I prefer solitude, but when that is supossed to be the hot spot, I just wanted to know for sure where it was. By the way I am familiar with that exact spot. Thanx for the info. I do appreciate it.

#98280 - 10/25/00 03:40 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

No apology necessary, I, like many others are just tired of seeing a lot of water they fish get more & more crowded, I would like see people be a bit more discreet instead of just blantantly giving directions to every spot, familiar or worse yet, not familiar. My opinion is to share technique, gear, conservation and general river conditions. But not providing directions to spot "X" or bring attention to the stream your fishing by boasting to the world the numbers of fish caught. Keeping score is for those who are still trying to prove to others how great of a fisherman they are and think fishing is a sport of winners & losers. I'm off my soap box now.

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 10-25-2000).]

#98281 - 10/25/00 03:57 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
I agree with Rich. Technique, but don't tell people you don't know, exactly where you are fishing. Jeez. Tell your buddies or via email, maybe. Let people do the leg work, and investigate rivers. It makes it more worth while to have found a secluded spot yourself, then to fish a hatchery hole like situation, shoulder to shoulder with guys. You might catch fish, but I garantee you it won't be even half the fun.

#98282 - 10/26/00 12:43 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
I got into a conversation like this yesterday with a guy at work. He is the secretive type too. I don't understand this way of thinking but to each his own. Food for thought...didn't you have someone show you where to fish and what to use at one point or another? I also feel that a "poor" fisherman may fish a spot one day and do well, whereas a "good" fisherman can go to that same spot the next day, use the same thing and not touch a fish, or vice versa. The bottom line is, no matter how good of a fisherman you are you like to talk fishing too. There really aren't any secrets around here anymore anyway.
By the way, we all know the bark hole is "sight fishing" at its finest! Hit it hard!

#98283 - 10/26/00 02:13 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Eric,
My sentiments exactly, if a guy really knows how to fish, there shouldn`t be a problem.

#98284 - 10/26/00 02:45 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
The internet is a powerful thing,
some of us .....ARGGHHHH

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 10-28-2000).]

#98285 - 10/26/00 03:28 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Erik

I agree that nothing is secret any more. I am not against telling people where I fish exactly. I just don't agree with posting this information on a billboard for hundreds to see. You will have to agree that there are varied degrees of information distribution. I just don't agree with telling anyone who will listen, or read a post.(Do you have any idea, How many people look at this board?? Maybe Bob should have a counter, so you get an idea) I tell friends and people I meet fishing, but I don't have a sign on my bumper giving directions to where I fish. Maybe you like doing this, and fishing alongside the growing crowd, but I sure don't. Why do you think Bob, edited the message, when some joker posted the name of his zipperlip?
As for the Bark hole, I don't fish this river for salmon, I have other spots. I was agreeing with a post made.
But hey, if you feel so inclined to make a post, describing where you're fishing exactly, and what numbers you're catching, I think plenty will appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by KORE (edited 10-26-2000).]

#98286 - 10/26/00 08:47 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Erik, I guess some people enjoy fishing in crowds, however if you polled most fisherman, at least the ones who know better, If they found river or run that fished well with less people chances are they would prefer to keep it that way, the exception are the braggers. Some of the places I enjoy the most are places I learned based on hunches, hiking, floating and driving, a lot of work and time. You tell me, I am selfish or secretive for not "sharing" with all the other anglers on the internet I don't know from adam. Yes, I had uncles and others who showed me the way, but that's not the point, it's your uncle or long time fishing partner sharing one on one, not broadcasted over the WORLD WIDE WEB to the whole fishing community. There's too many fisherman anymore who want instant gratification without putting forth the effort to break the code themselves. I read Bob's board, because I find the topics interesting, but I cringe when I see someone bragging about a piece of water or directions to a paticular spot, even the ones I don't fish. In my opinion, I believe the free wheeling sharing of "where to" on the internet has played one part in the crowds we have seen in the last few years. Question, How many of you fished the peninsula before this board came around?

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 10-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 10-26-2000).]

#98287 - 10/26/00 09:55 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
NativeSteelhead Offline
Alevin

Wow, a lot of ehtics here....uh, I just like to fish. By the way as far as leg work goes, I am sure that I have walked more than most. I've paid my dues. I just love to fish. Greg

#98288 - 10/27/00 12:15 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
Rich, really bud, you ought to go down and get yourself one of those Kings from the Bark Hole, they're so thick!
Anybody who says that they would rather fish in a crowd is a fool in my opinion too. I guess I agree about getting on this, or any other board and willfully broadcasting your "secrets" but I feel like if someone asks thats another thing, and usually I'll tell. I agree that it would be better to use email for much of this information too.
All this said, the fact still stands, if I told you that there are fish in the "ice box" hole and here's how I'm catching them, you have no advantage at all unless you already know that particular piece of water under all conditions. A river never sleeps!
p.s. I remember some great days over there before I even knew what the internet was.

#98289 - 10/27/00 10:56 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Nothings worse than my Dad.. The forms of communication on earth- telephone, telagram or tell my dad. At a gas station on the way home " hey do you guys fish??" No?? well you should because we just nailed em using whatever at where ever we just went !!! you really ought to try it... tell your buddys

#98290 - 10/27/00 12:58 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
kwicken Offline
Alevin

Loc: Tacoma, Wa
One of the reasons I fish is for the solitude. There is nothing compared to the feeling I get when I walk into a spot on a river and no one else is there. I will turn around and go to a different spot if that one is taken because I know what it feels like to get up early just to get to the spot and have the late crowd show up and crash the scene. That is why I started fishing the pennusula 18 years ago. I was reluctant to "kiss and tell" back then. And I am certainly the same now. I have always spent more time scouting than fishing. I believe that you must earn that knowledge. I had to.

#98291 - 10/28/00 03:01 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Native, I do too and the more ethics surrounding our fishing, the better, good luck where ever you end up.

#98292 - 10/30/00 12:53 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
I agree Osprey---Too many "Cyber Fisherpeople". Get out there and explore. ----Now if you find that "sweet spot"--are you going to post it?? Doubtful

#98293 - 10/31/00 12:32 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
C'mon folks asking how to get to the bark hole is the equivalent of asking how to get to the cracker bar. A secret spot is a secret spot; to be shared by friends and a few others in the know. But, the bark hole is definitely not secret. Usually when the directions to a spot on the river includes, "where all the cars are parked," it's a well-known, popular spot. In this case, no harm done here.

#98294 - 10/31/00 10:40 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
This is true Hoh--but 5yrs ago it was not "where all the cars are parked, it's a well-known, popular spot." Thats what it has become.----

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 972 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |