Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87631 - 03/16/00 11:29 AM Dink Floats / market survey
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
I would like everyones ideas and opinions on the dink style floats. We at Vision are thinking about production on these floats because of the high retail price and availibility , or lack of on the good ones. We think we can produce a high quuality float out of the good closed cell foam for a better price than what's out there now.
1. What style do you like the best the line wrap around style or the center hole style were you use a bobber stop?
2. what sizes do you like?
3.what colors do you like, include the top paint color as well.
well I think that is all I need , so please let me know. Thanks Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#87632 - 03/16/00 11:49 AM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Big dink float user here. I like the wrap around style, standard 6" in gray, tip color doesn't matter. Also use the 6" skinny one for low clear conditions.

My only suggestion is to have both floats in a 4.5-5" inch model so you can run a little less weight to keep them upright. I often run them in slower runs that are not that deep, and I wonder if the fish spot the float and the weight after the take. Another suggestion is to have a float with no bright tip color, again for low, bright conditions.

#87633 - 03/16/00 12:18 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I buy handfulls of the 4"-4.5" wrap style with red or yellow head every time I pass a basket of them.

#87634 - 03/16/00 12:21 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
JohnnyCoho Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rockport,WA,USA
Gotta' agree with "obsessed" on this one Joe,
only suggestion I have is on paint. Two toned for different water and definately use that vinyl paint. It remains almost elastic and doesn't flake off like others I've seen.
Also try to stay away from chartreuse as a main color, its OK in low light conditions but clients cant see it in the sun and neither can the color blind.
Hope you plan on using a really tight closed cell foam simalar to the Canadian dinks.
<')(\(\)>< J-

"Life is short. Never pass up a hug. Look children in the eye when you talk to them. Bend the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile."

#87635 - 03/16/00 12:40 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
I really like the dink style float. I like its great bouyancy. I like the way it points in the water and gives an indication of how your terminal gear is presenting. I like the way it jumps under water, as opposed to the prevalent wooden models, which seem to just melt into or under the water. I like the fact that with the center hole models, you can cut them down to size.

I really like the center hole model and I just scream when I need them and can't find them in the stores. When I do find them, I buy up a bunch. I'm sure there's a place for both. I'm sure a real pro, with a properly long rod, can make deadly use of the wind-around style. I'm not so wealthy that I can buy a different rod for every presentation (yet). I fish a 9 foot because I can use it for both drifting and float fishing. It does o.k., except in situations where more distance is required. I like the center hole model because of the great adaptability it gives you, both with a shorter rod and quick changes of depth below the float.

One thing - use a good glue to fix the tube in the foam. I have had some trouble with tubes sliding, especially after I have cut a float down.

Also, I could use a plastic bead with a smaller diameter hole. It seems that the beads I find available, even the smallest ones, have holes so big that they will slip over a nail knot float stop tied out of anything smaller than 12 lb. test line. The rod I have is a very good one, but its tiptop has a very small diameter. Anything larger than a nail knot of 12 lb. test will give problems hanging up, either while reeling up or in casting. A bead with a smaller diameter hole would allow me to tie my nail knots out of 8 or so pound test and this would make for smoother operation.

I think one needs a pretty good variety of lengths and diameters, but because you can cut them down so easily, maybe not too much emphasis need be given to manufacturing and finishing sizes for every eventuality. Several diameters and several lengths, should do nicely, along with advertisement that these can be readily cut to whatever size the situation calls for. I definitely like the fact that you can cut these down to just float the presentation you are making, wheter in rough water or calm water.

One problem when cutting down a float with a larger diameter is that the small presentation you are cutting it down for won't keep the float in the correct upright position. So for small presentations, a small diameter is needed, not just a short, fat float.

Of course, once you cut your float, you have the part you cut off and now it doesn't have a painted top, so what kind of paint do you use? Where do you buy it. I'm sure you can buy it in bulk, package it in usable size containers and sell it to people like me, with a passion for this type of fishing.

Color of the foam material? I don't know. I've never had any complaint about grey. Is there really that much difference when viewed from under water? It would seem that the smaller, the better. The more nearly you can mimick a simple stick or piece of debris, the better. When these things are drifted way downstream, the only thing I continue to see is the color painted on top. The body of the float disappears.

I really don't care what color the top ring is painted, as long as it is as visible as possible. The international orange is the color most in use on the dink floats that I buy. It seems to do alright in most conditions. Aren't there studies that show the most visible color is some sort of green? They use green of some sort to mark signs on runways. The FAA has regulations on colors that describe what kind of green this highly visible color is. I don't think just plain red is very effective.

While you are at it, how about some type of line dressing that floats the main line. A proper length rod should do most of the trick, but there will always be a length of line nearest the float that will be on the water. I've heard musilin (sp?) works, but is it especially easy to find?

Would love to see what you come up with.

#87636 - 03/16/00 12:41 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
Steelheader boy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia Wa.
fly boy,I prefer the smaller size 2 1/2 to 3" ,as far as paint offer a choice the red is more versital although in low light I like the chartruse,my choice is the wrap around style...

------------------
Tight Lines
FISH ON ------<*)>><
Men are like fish we get into trouble when we open our mouths to much!!

#87637 - 03/16/00 02:16 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
novice Offline
Alevin

Loc: Florence, OR
fly
This is the first year I have fished exclusively with dinks. Using everything from goey bob's to pink worms and man has it payed off. Problem is, I can not buy them locally.(central Oregon coast) I buy them over the internet from an outfit out of B.C. I have friends who turned me on to dink fishing but we all have the same problem, limited availability. We buy them for about a 1.50$ apiece. Seems a bit high.
We use the 3/4"x6" wrap around,tip color not important.
Does anyone know where I could order these at a cheaper price?
I'm sold on dink floats and another supplier would be great.

Fish on!!!!!!!!

#87638 - 03/16/00 07:36 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
Anonymous
Unregistered

Superfly/Vision- this is Steve from ifish.net : You have gotten plenty of feedback here, so I will ask a Q. Are "wrap around" floats the same as some down here refer to as "split" floats (because they have a similar principle to split shots- line goes into float laterlly thru the side & is set by the end plastic inserts)?- Dinks are popular here also. I'd like to see floats in stealthy light grey & also woodgrain colors with only the upper 1/4th or less colored red. Size variety is obviously important. We use the thread thru floats with bobber stops on the mainline for deep or tidewater Chinook fishing, and more often the split/wrap-around floats for shallow water Steelheading & quick changability to drift-fishing.- Steve

#87639 - 03/16/00 10:14 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
no one minds a good survey if it will help.
here is my views; i like the slip thru style with bobber stops. only problem is with the ones i bought recently they have this little piece of plastic with 2 small holes and it is getting harder to fit line into these little holes as we get olderrrrr.
i found some rubber style stops with a small bead slipped over a piece of small wire loop. they work great except they are for small diameter line, under 6-8 pound. i use a slightly heavery main line and wear out the rubber stops in 3-4 trips out or bust up on the first trip. need good stops with small hole beads to fit 10-14 pound line. they hold well and are fast adjusting. you can leave the stop on and bottom bounce without any problems.
as to color, top only, bottom should be a dark color flat color as not to not appear as something. a dark flat color, brown, green and such should not show up from underneath from the fish's view.
stick lenght i like long, so the stand up right better, short sticks tend to lean over more.
float body's if too big float faster than the presentation under water and tend to lead the hook down stream. but they have to be bouyt enough to handle up to 3/8 oz drop lead, or even bigger on wide drifts when fishing from the bank. thanks; elmtree

#87640 - 03/17/00 12:29 AM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
Doug-from-wa Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Bellingham Wa,USA
Superfly I work at Yeagers are you our rep? If so I would like to see some of your floats. Not a lot of float fisherman in Bellingham but I am starting to teach a few locals some hot tips about fishing with floats. As far as color gray is a MUST! dont care about top color. I have my own way to attach float to line but its a secret(smile)

#87641 - 03/17/00 03:31 AM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wrap around, grey foam stick with white foam on top so the color really stands out. I prefer the dip it paint...paint stays on better after getting packed around in my vest. Also would like to see the tubes in the floats be vinyl water hose style so it doesn't cut through. Foam material should be the tight celled like the canadian style float.
R&R marine in Port Angeles is now carrying a very good float.

Back Bouncer....Different style of float (Dink). I have a picture of the float on my site located at http://www.steelheader.net/steelhead/float_fishing.htm
Tight lines

------------------
Marty
www.steelheader.net
marty@steelheader.net

#87642 - 03/17/00 04:09 AM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
Humpie Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett WA U.S.A
Howdy,
I think the center tube design is the better of the two, because when I hook a fish or a snag the line has a tendency to slice right through the foam. I do love using these float's in small streams and in larger one's during low water. The spashdown with them is like a feather hitting the water. Beside's the twig supply is readily available streamside to peg the tube style. Keep your cast low.

#87643 - 03/17/00 10:25 AM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
First of all, If you called them "dink" floats in Canada they would laugh at you. Believe me, It happened to me.
i like the 5.5 to 6 inche ones with 2 holes. I also use the center hole style for steelhead on occasion.
Black is a good color, but white is even better. Look at a fish, darker colors on its back lghter colors on its belly. white doesnt contrast against the surface (looking up) as much as black or grey. As for the very top color, Orange or chartruese is good.

#87644 - 03/17/00 12:25 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
novice Offline
Alevin

Loc: Florence, OR
Reel Truth, Willierower
Where do you buy your floats?? Can we get them in Oregon or do you get them online??? thanks

#87645 - 03/17/00 01:39 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
corky Offline
Smolt

Loc: Port Angeles Wa.
I have to agree with smilesforu. The canadian style floats at R&R (tight cell) have dyed tips that dont wear off. They are very visable without being alarming. They last forever!

#87646 - 03/17/00 02:48 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
The answer is floats with bobberstops, it is much easier to regulate depth especially when your fishing water that is around 6-8 feet. As far as color grey or black is the answer natural colors work best with the brightest flouresent top of all chartreuse or orange. But all in all I'll take a bait of eggs drift fished over a bobber anyday...

#87647 - 03/17/00 08:32 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
I just want to thank everyone for there input , it all helps. After this little survey I have decided to move forward on the float deal. Already found a supplier of the good closed cell foam, he is shipping me samples of it so I can move forward with production. Hope to have them out by June 1, that is a push but will see if we can do it. Also I am going to try and do it for 1/2 of the retail price out there, the main thing is being able to get them without having to deal with canadian or u.s customs, which will mean there availibility in stores will be much greater.Doug I am the guy who calls on yeagers, will be in next week. Steve the wrap style do not have a slit in them until after you have fought a good fish or pulled on a hard snag. Keep the ideas coming Peace superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#87648 - 03/18/00 11:46 AM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
dawhunt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washougal
I like the ones with the center hole and use a bobber stop,3or4 inches long top color doesn't matter as long as I can see it.

------------------
Bob Dawson

#87649 - 03/18/00 07:59 PM Re: Dink Floats / market survey
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Novice, I picked up my floats at Bob's in Longview Washington. You can also get Gibbs floats at Fishermans Marine Supply in Oregon City, If they Have any in stock. Stay away from Mr.Eds floats, They are too soft and tear in half when you hook a fish.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 972 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |