Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91080 - 06/02/00 07:34 PM Breathable Waders
spinnerman Offline
Alevin

Loc: Kent WA
I am looking to buy a pair of breathable waders, and was wondering if any body has any info between LL bean, Simms and Patagonia. Thanks in advance

#91081 - 06/02/00 10:43 PM Re: Breathable Waders
SPOON Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: TUMWATER, WA
I bought a pair of the LL Bean Kevlar/Goretex waders - swear by them. I was debating between the Sims and the LL Bean's, and ended up going with the Bean's for a number of reasons. I have a buddy who has the Sims, and he says he loves them. I researched breathable waders for a few months before making the decision - I don't take spending upwards of $375 very lightly (not to mention that I tend to over analyze everything). A few things to consider. 1) Bean's suspension system is much better, very comfortable. 2) Built in gravel guards, very nice ones at that - won't ride up at all (Sims don't have any, have to buy the add on's). 3) Both waders are made out of the same Imersion-Tech Gore-Tex - DEET resisitant (all bug repellents contain DEET and will make the Patagonia's fail). So, both are very breathable with Gore's guarentee. 4) Absolutely bomb proof in the legs. Kick any sage, brambles, barbed wire fence you come across, doesn't matter. 5) Goretex booties, great for summer fishing. You can put on a pair of neoprene stockings for winter time. Can't do that with Sims. 6)Bean's lifetime satisfaction guarentee.

If you look back at the Fly Fish America September '99 issue, they evaluated 18 different pairs of waders. Both the Bean and the Sims were rated the highest. The Sims were rated slightly higher for overall comfort, 8 vs. 10, but after trying both out, I would say that compared to any neoprene waders I've ever worn, you'll be in heaven wearing either. You'd have to really be thinking and dwelling on the comfort factor to tell the difference between the two, splitting hairs really. And given Bean's satisfaction guarentee, how can you go wrong? Both are priced at the top end, but you get what you pay for. Remember - LIFETIME SATISFACTION GUARENTEE. And....if you do a little calling around to the LL Bean factory outlet stores, you may be able to pick up a pair of their "blems" for around $275, still have the lifetime satisfaction guarentee. The only thing you'll need to think about is getting a good pair of polar fleece pants to wear during the winter, but I've never gotten cold.

Any one else try them out?

#91082 - 06/03/00 01:13 AM Re: Breathable Waders
joe Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
check out the Dan Bailys Breathables. $199 built in g- guards, doubled knee, built in belt, great fitting neopreen feet, great guarentee, and I have over 200 days of beating the [Bleeeeep!] out of mine and they are still dry and patchless.

#91083 - 06/03/00 01:30 AM Re: Breathable Waders
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Without a doubt the Dan Bailey's beathables are the best deal on the market! I had a pair of Simms and they were nice, but the Dan Bailey's are lighter, more comfortable, just as durable and half the price. Check 'em out. Most flyshops keep them in stock. Creekside Angling and Salmon Bay Tackle to name a few.
I have at least 75 hard days on mine and they work as good as the day I bought them. I have heard many bad stories about the Hodgeman, Orvis, and Reddington waders. But not a bad word about the Bailey's.

#91084 - 06/07/00 01:11 AM Re: Breathable Waders
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Simms get my vote, Ilove them and the Co. is great to work with if you tear them (tough to do though).
I'm a big fan of Simms and Filson - High quality and great service. Most of all THEY LAST.

#91085 - 06/07/00 12:15 PM Re: Breathable Waders
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I've only fished in my FlyTech breathables six days since I bought them a couple weeks ago at the Outdoor Emporium sale but for $85 I don't think they can be beat. Normally they're $160 or so.

#91086 - 06/08/00 01:51 AM Re: Breathable Waders
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
check out the Bare (sharkskin) waders. they're a bit pricy but you'll get your moneys worth out of them. I do, and I wear them year round. I only remember how much I used to hate slipping into the neoprenes. I'll never consider them again. I've had my Bares for two years now and although I do clean them often they're as good as new...good luck

p.s. O.E. will hammer on Ted's prices if you but them locally!

#91087 - 06/08/00 04:56 AM Re: Breathable Waders
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I'm looking at buying a pair myself. I'm not going to go bonzai on a pair of $300 ones though. I've seen some at Sportco and in a few catalogs that are comparable to some of the higher priced ones, but not as fancy. I rarely use waders during the summer months anyways, so I'm not gonna go all out and buy some expensive pair. And, I'd rather just use my neoprenes in the winter then bundle up a pair of ultralights. I do believe they were running around $120 at sportco and looked pretty durable. I'm not sure yet, I've seen the LL beans, Simms, and Bares and they're nice. I just can't get past paying that much for waders. I'll just buy the cheaper waders and buy another rod....

------------------
you haven't lived til you're rowed a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

Northwest River Fisherman

#91088 - 06/09/00 10:43 AM Re: Breathable Waders
potter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Pacific Beach, WA, USA
Joe, I found some Dan Baily's waders at this discount for 109 dollars.
http://www.cbsmall.com/cgi-bin/webc.exe/...-16100131162.6d

Are they the same as the 199 waders you use? If so, I'll purchase them at such a great discount. Thanks in advance

#91089 - 06/09/00 04:56 PM Re: Breathable Waders
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Potter, those are the bare bones waders from Baileys Retail = $119. The $199 waders are much nicer.
The sharkskin waders = VERY BAD! They don't come close to either the Bailey's or the Simms, they don't breath and they fall apart. I highly advise to stay away from any Bare breathable products.

[This message has been edited by salmontackler (edited 06-09-2000).]

#91090 - 06/10/00 12:27 PM Re: Breathable Waders
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Breathable waders are actually as good, if not better, in the cold winter weather than the warm summer. With some long-johns and fleece pants under them you don't get clammy-damp from perspiration. This keeps you much more comfortable. (Remember when you went from the rubber rain coat to the gore-tex? BIG improvement wasn't it, same principle here).
About the only time I still use neoprene is duck hunting; and the only reason is cost vs. abuse, and sealing pinholes from thorns.

#91091 - 06/13/00 04:23 AM Re: Breathable Waders
Flygirl Offline
Alevin

Loc: Woodinville,WA USA
spinnerman,

I finally paid up for a pair of Simms Guide waders and have never looked back. I don't have alot to compare them to other than hearing the umphs-and-oomphs in the bushes and seeing the shaking vans and trucks of folks putting on and taking off their neoprenes, but all I have to do is do is jump out of my truck and slip into my waders and waist belt and I'm on the river before anyone else!
I got a nasty rip crawling over a barbed wire fence in Montana last year, but repaired them easily with the kit they supplied and have not had a problem with leaking.
They have been equally comfortable in the heat of summer wearing shortpants/jeans and in winter wearing extra-thick long-johns---wouldn't trade them for anything! I bought them three years ago so there are other new, better, cheaper waders available, but I swear by Simms. Even though I ended up having to buy the men's size back then, I LOVE my Simms waders!!!!

Flygirl

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 1258 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |