Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92217 - 07/09/00 09:53 PM Sharp Hooks and Little Kids' Nightmare
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know many of the people on this Board have kids. I hope someone learns from my experience. Sunday morning I placed a handful of plugs on my desktop as I was going to replace the split rings. The hooks were recently sharpened and had razor edges on them. Each treble hook had a plastic bonnet on it.

My six and three year old boys are fascinated by fishing-related things, especially lures. They asked if they could handle the lures. I told them, "Yes, but just to pick them up and put them down. No playing with them." I then turned my attention to reading what was new on this Board (the home PC is right next to my desk).

Within five seconds I heard two blood-curdling screams. The little guy Bart had one hook on a Yo-Zuri minnow sunk up to the bend into the second joint of his right ring finger . The big guy Max had the other treble on the same lure in the flesh of his forearm, with both an entry and exit wound. They were trying to run away from each other and the blood was flowing. I shouted "Don't move!" and they both froze, howling like burn victims. Fortunately, I had pinched the barbs down on the hooks and was able to quickly remove them with strong, quick pulls. Within five minutes the tears had subsided. A trip to the emergency room resulted in a doctor's verdict that no permanent harm was done to Bart's finger joint. When we confirmed that their tentanus shots were up to date, the boys received a clean bil of health.

I can't believe how stupid I was to let them play with the lures, and thank my lucky stars that all my plugs have hooks with pinched-down barbs. The looks of terror and pain on those kids' faces will stay with me forever. I hope this story saves someone a similar experience.

#92218 - 07/10/00 08:18 AM Re: Sharp Hooks and Little Kids' Nightmare
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Sorry to hear about that snags. I did the same thing when I was a little Tike. Reached in to Dads tackle box full of Mirro Lures, and ended up with 11 treble hooks in my paw. I was only two years old when it happened. Can't remember it,, but I twitch when I get near a Mirro Lure.

Hope your rug rats are OK. WIll send you the info on the C & D rod some time this week.

You have a good point. When I take my kids fishing, every hook in my box, has the barb flattened out on it. The kids mean a hell of a lot more to me than a lost fish. Take care.

#92219 - 07/10/00 12:58 PM Re: Sharp Hooks and Little Kids' Nightmare
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
Snagly,
Glad to hear your little tikes are ok. I raised five boys and two girls. Over the years five of them have had hooks in them in various parts of thier bodies. (The barbs were not pinched down.) I know how you feel.

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#92220 - 07/10/00 08:58 PM Re: Sharp Hooks and Little Kids' Nightmare
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
Snagly, i remember the pain.
I was about 7 years old, what a long time ago that was, i was crawling under my Dads bed looking for something i guess. I reached out to move a home made wooded box and pow! Stuck in the left wrist was a #6 worm hook, in and hook out the other side.
My mother thought i had killed myself, and she came running. somehow the hook had worked into the crack in a corner and was sticking out just enough to catch the skin and then the reaction of pulling away sunk it home, and pulled all the way out of my Dads home moade tackle box.
My Mother brought off the end and was able to push the hook thru without to much more screaming from me, yeah sure.

I try real hard to keep an eye on my grandson, like Sunday we went fishing, he kept trying to play with some wedding bands set ups coiled in my tackle box. I had to remind him many times that the hooks are sharp and if he gets one in, it is going to hurt and more so when i take it out. With much luck, no problems yet with those little hands, wrist, cheeks and noises.
Thanks for the memories.

elmtree (woody)

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, steely slammer), 1141 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |