LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95989 - 09/13/00 11:05 PM To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
Aerofly Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle
I was fishing this morning with a herring and bobber when I had a fish. He did some great jupms and leaps then it was time for me to bring him in, when I brought him in half of the herring was in his mouth with a trailing hook which had broken off and during the fight the other hook got snaged on his belly, is it wrong to keep this fish? I kept it but thought maybe this is illeagal, whats your input? P.S it was a hatchery fish by the way.

[This message has been edited by Aerofly (edited 09-13-2000).]

#95990 - 09/13/00 11:15 PM Re: To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Geez, you probally really opened a can of worms here. But if you legally hooked it I would have kept it to because you didn't snag it it came up and grabed your bait.

Tight lines
Kevin

#95991 - 09/13/00 11:34 PM Re: To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
What kind of Fish? Were you in an area where it was legal to retain it? If it was a legal fish in an open area, whats to question?

If it was not a legal fish in an open area it is wrong, immoral and illegal to keep the fish (unless you are a Native American, then you can pretty much do whatever you friggin like as the laws us non natives have to live by don't apply to you.)

edit
Wow, Sorry, that was a bit harsh. In rereading the post it was a question "is the fish snagged?" I don't believe it was. The fish probably got both hooks at first. Was the top hook within the distance it was originally tied? At some point both hooks were probably stuck in at the same time. By the time you make such a thorough examination, the poor critter was probably dead anyhow. If it was a coho in an open area, no worries.
Guts

[This message has been edited by Fishguts (edited 09-13-2000).]

#95992 - 09/13/00 11:51 PM Re: To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Ha, ha, I love this topic. According to all the naysayers that have been rippin' me a new ass this past week, you have been branded a snagger.LOL

Just kidding! Foul hookups occur all the time with them double hook leaders. But, in this case it appears that I would've released it. My reasoning is that because the mono connection between the two hooks was broken, the fish escaped by breaking off the trailer BEFORE getting snagged by the front hook. If the silver was snagged while still hooked the section of line between the two hooks would not have parted because the pressure would be all on the lead hook.

On the other hand, If the silver was belly hooked, the leader was still intact, and I can find a hook wound in its mouth or head; then I keep it. I see no difference between this situation and another common situation when coho fishing, when a silver gets tail wrapped and is landed backwards but is still mouth-hooked. With the advent of barbless hooks the trailer typically falls out of the fish's mouth when incidently belly hooked and landed foul-hooked.

#95993 - 09/14/00 08:21 AM Re: To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
Aerofly Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle
It was in Area 10 and the season is open for silvers till the 15th of this month. Reason I asked this question is some people think I should have released it . I know what you mean about silvers wrapping them selves up a lot in the leader line Hohawiian, I see this too and people keep it all the time.

#95994 - 09/14/00 01:26 PM Re: To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Fire up the Barbeque

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

#95995 - 09/14/00 03:27 PM Re: To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
What time did you say dinner was???
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff

#95996 - 09/14/00 03:59 PM Re: To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
kind of like playing a fish and get it to the boat and off it comes but floats belly up, do you net it or let it go, it is no longer leagl hooked

#95997 - 09/14/00 04:25 PM Re: To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I'd net it bonk it and Que it.This happened to me three times during sockeye season.
STRIKE ZONE>

#95998 - 09/15/00 12:30 AM Re: To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

They don't normally get foul hooked in the salt. Also, silvers spin, thrash and jump so much that you probably hooked him in the mouth, his teeth sawed through that hook and because he spun and wrapped himself the other burried itself in his belly. Even if that's not what happened thinking that will make it taste better.

#95999 - 09/15/00 02:30 AM Re: To keep or not to keep , I kept it, is it wrong?
hogtide Offline
Alevin

Loc: warren, Or.
Heck yes...that fish is yours for the eatin'. You seduced him he took it, you won the battle. Its a legitimate hookup, struggle and time for the fry pan. In the old glory days of Cambell River B.C., we would drag cut bait at a 5 knot troll right under the surface. The silvers would slash through those fast baits so quickly, they would frequently miss the hooks on the quick-bite. The solution was to rig a very small sticky sharp trailer right at the tip end of the bait. Half of the time that tiny trailer would catch 'em on the 'outside' edge of the lip. No snaggin', pure and simple outsmarting those bait bandit coho.

Something tells you ,inside, if youre being ethical to the fishery or not. You made the proper choice.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 997 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |