LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97898 - 10/16/00 02:24 PM Best Fly Rod Blank?
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
Well, I broke my old Sage 896RP blem that I built 10 years ago so I need a new 8 weight. I want a 9 1/2 or a ten footer. Unfortunately I need to keep the price of the blank and the parts under about $225. I've been looking through the Anglers Workshop catalog but can't decide. What do you all think? Lamiglas? St Croix? A cheap Sage? Any experiences and/or advice would be appriciated.

#97899 - 10/16/00 02:55 PM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
for your money I would look at the IM6 blanks by Anglers Workshop. I have been very please with the steelhead and salmon rods.

I have a FR 1088 in GL3 whcih is a 9' 8 weight rod. that I really like.

ButI would look at the Anglers Work shop blanks, they fish and feel few similarto a GL3.

TH
www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#97900 - 10/16/00 04:24 PM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks TH. I was reading in the catalog about their IM6 rods and how some people prefer them to the newer graphites. I don't know the difference myself but I'll be sure to check them out when I get to the AW store. What do you think about Lami fly rods? I've heard some negatives about the quality control between models (i.e. some models are good, some are crap) which makes me leery...

#97901 - 10/16/00 04:27 PM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Stink,

There are at least two persuasions on this matter. Here's my take. If you believe that expensive brand labels will enhance either your ability or enjoyment of fishing, then by all means replace your old rod with a $ equivalent. If, on the other hand, you believe that your ability and enjoyment is largely independent of label, I would readily endorse Angler's Workshop blanks. I've also made a few rods from their closeout barrel that look like they came from Lamiglass next door, and am extremely pleased - especially when I consider the money I didn't have to spend.

In my opinion, AW does much to make fly fishing affordable. Now, if only decent cork was less than a buck a ring.

Buy the blank, build the rod, enjoy!

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#97902 - 10/16/00 11:51 PM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks SG. I think I'll follow your advice and go with the AW line. This time, though, I'll take it out of the rod holder on my drift boat when I come into a tree lined shore (ouch!).

#97903 - 10/17/00 01:25 AM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Don't have any experience with the AW blanks myself, so I certainly am not in the position to offer any advice there. BUt since you're trying to keep the cost down some, you might try looking at the Loomis FR1178 blank ... don't know a cost off hand, but as a GL3 blank, it shouldn't be terribly expensive. 9' 9" ... for those that wish to know, Loomis rod model numbers go like this: three digit model, first two digits is your rod length in inches, and last number is power / action (although outside of the fly rod end of things, this doesn't always mean that a "1" is lighter or heavier than a "2"). Four digit numbers, first three would be your length, followed by the same.

I have a couple of these rods, and outfit some of my winter-time steelie clients with them (I much prefer them than my 9 weight, 9 foot GLX) and fish them with all but my heaviest lines. They're a very nice rod to cast, don't cost a lot, and are far more durable than their GLX cousins. A thought Good luck!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#97904 - 10/17/00 02:08 PM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
Stinkfoot --- Lamiglas rods are good rods. I prefer to fish Loomis and the IM6 blanks over the lamiglas rods.

we warranty more Lamiglas rods than we do Loomis and IM6 rods. for what that is worth. I personally belive that people who spend $200-$300 on rods take better care of a them, maybe not? I have broken many rods, and most my fault, Loomis, Sage, etc. But I am always aware of where my most expensive rods are in the boat...

TH
www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#97905 - 10/17/00 05:41 PM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
St. Croix was mentioned they are adequate and don't cost much and still come with a guarentee. Check them out before you come to a choice.

#97906 - 10/17/00 06:50 PM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
I agree with Bob, the 1178 GL3 is an excellent rod for the buck. BTW, GL3 is an enhanced IM6 as well.

#97907 - 10/17/00 07:19 PM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
Steve Offline
Alevin

Loc: Longview,wa,usa
IM6 rods(and blanks) are a lower modulous material. What that means is that they have a slower action than higher modulous rods. The anglers blanks are nice and cast quite well. Personally i don't like lamiglass all that much. Their blanks are heavier and they have a problem with not being straight. If you go to anglers on a weekday you can check the blanks (make sure to get a straight one)and they can run over to lamiglass(they are right next door) and find the blank you need if they don't have it in stock. My advice: Give anglers workshop a call and talk to either wes of jeff k. Also i would recommend the h and h chrome quides at the minimum. You can save a few bucks going with the perfection guides but they are not quality guides. If ya have any questions feel free to ask.

#97908 - 10/17/00 10:39 PM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
FLYGUY Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, Washington, United...
Id have to agree with Bob. I fish a home-built Sage 8 weight 9.5 foot RPL+ and when I cast my buddys GL-3 Loomis 8 weight 9.5 foot flyrod I was a bit jealous. Its got a lighter feel with about the same amount of power. It really chafed my willy when I found out how much it cost him.

Good Luck-
Fun FIshing-
Josh

#97909 - 10/17/00 11:26 PM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on this topic. I really like these kinds of threads, because I learned a lot (of course I also like the ones that just let you vent a little). The differences between the graphites is to me an interesting subject, and I hope others got something out of it also.
To let you know, I have ordered a Loomis FR1178 GL3 from TH at TH Custom Rods (see some of the posts above). I'm STOKED!!!

BTW TH gave me a much better deal than a store-bought finished rod. I think I could save 20 bucks or so after tax and gas if I built it myself but with a 6 month old and a three year old at home free time is scarce. Plus I'm sure TH will do a better job.
Thanks folks!

#97910 - 10/18/00 09:37 AM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Maybe its just me on this one, but I have found over the years that the slower IM6 type rods throw sink tip lines a lot better than the more expensive fast action rods out there these days. I have both but always seem to wind up with my old Powell 8-9 weight in my hand when things get serious.

#97911 - 10/18/00 10:10 AM Re: Best Fly Rod Blank?
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
I'm not a fly guy, but I did just build a spinning rod. I bought the blank I used from the D and E Rods G Loomis overstock. It is a great rod and I think it was a great price (listed for $204 and I paid $83). The last listing that they have contains a lot of fly rods, all are G Loomis in a variety of modulus. There web site is www.dnerods.com. They are located in Battleground. The only drawback is that they are not warrenteed.
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
12gauge, Doug Kelly, tredfish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (liveblues), 501 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645468 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |