Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98728 - 11/01/00 04:09 PM The complete Lee Wulff
CtDrifter Offline
Parr

Loc: ellensburg and kitsap county
I am reading this book and I am loving it. I am only on page 98 but I like most of it. It talks about bringing salmon to surface flies. I hope this works because I haven't ever caught a salmon or steelie on a fly. What do you fellas think about this book?
Ct

#98729 - 11/01/00 05:21 PM Re: The complete Lee Wulff
thickline Offline
Parr

Loc: Oregon
great book just an FYI the salmon are atlantics. Otherwise keep at it and you'll get into fish but it may take a long while.

thick

#98730 - 11/01/00 08:49 PM Re: The complete Lee Wulff
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
CtDrifter, Steelhead in water temps above mid fortys are pretty reliable on dry or waking flys and many anglers wouldn't think of using anything but a dry line until the dead of winter. The concept of taking a Pacific salmon on a dry fly is not as unheard of as alot of people think. Where good runs of the more agressive native stocks are still present you have a good chance of making it happen. This obviously won't take place if you don't make the attempt.
Lee at one time boasted that steelhead and pacific salmon were not worthy of pursuit but in later years he was fortunate enough to get some first hand exposure and changed his tune. Lee always one to try and reinvent the wheel when he found out how easy it was to catch a steelhead on a dry fly he had to push it a bit farther and contrived a fly tied on a size 24 and hooked and finally landed a hen of about 10 pounds. To each his own I don't have that motivation he did and I won't judge,the fly was about a size 8 and a wulff style skater with the little #24 hanging there to hook the fish.

#98731 - 11/01/00 11:17 PM Re: The complete Lee Wulff
ctflyfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: ridgefield wa. usa
You are reading a great book. I think Lee was raised in Alaska and learned to fly there. As far as local steelhead to a dry fly goes, look for Bill McMillian's book "Dry Line Steelhead" which is still in print by Amato Publications in Portland. email me for a list of many more related books, if interested. You are fortunate to be near the Klickitat, Deschutes and John Day, three great places to catch steelies on a dry.

#98732 - 11/02/00 02:01 AM Re: The complete Lee Wulff
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Dry Line Steelhead is an incredible book!! Very hard to find though because its actually out of print. I got my copy off ebay for like $5...a total steal!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1237 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |