Check out www.worldwaters.com --> "Tips & Techniques" --> "Myths, Legends, Lies and other Trout Fishing Facts" by Ralph Cutter. I've passed this article along to two other fishing nuts and they agree with my view: it's the best thing we've read in many, many moons.

Don't be put off by the 'Trout' in the title. I'm convinced the points are equally valid for steelhead and salmon. Among other things, Ralph makes these controversial statements:

1. Fish in a shallow river have virtually 360 degree vision, using the underside of the surface as a giant mirror. Approaching fish from the downstream side isn't sneaking up on them at all.

2. Fish can see even light leaders, and completely ignore them. The only reason to fish light vs. heavy line is those times when a lighter leader produces less drag.

3. "Matching the hatch" is nonsense as fish see and respond to colors we see as well as those visible only in the infra red and/ or ultraviolet ranges

4. Loud noises don't scare fish most of the time

5. Fish are not spooked by sinkers or indicators placed near the fly

You may not agree with everything he writes, but it certainly forces you to rethink conventional wisdom.