Originally Posted By: the_chemist
Can I get a source on the 5 tons disparity please?

I believe Ned obtained that information directly from WDFW as it is not available on required annual report to the Commission. Here is a link to the report for the 2017 season:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/...esentation.pdf.

FYI before the emergence of the new WDFW web site one could find the annual reports back 10-12 years via the Commission's web page. What with the new (and not better) web site the records of their meetings is available back only to 2017 which simply doesn't cut it. Supposedly they will be fleshing out with more historical information as time ticks by......waiting, waiting and waiting some more.

In my opinion there should information for each management area which shows the initial agreement between co-managers as to the harvestable poundage plus any in-season adjustments plus the final harvest numbers by State and tribal crabbers.

That is of particular concern when a rec season is being cut back because of a prior year over harvest.

Another observation of concern is the split of the State's harvest between rec and commercial. If you go to the pertinent slide showing such information over a number of years it is apparent that non-tribal commercial crabbers are taking a higher percentage of the State's share to the detriment of the recreational crabbers.

Commission and managers should be looking at the NT commercial harvest numbers in MA 8-1, 8-2 and 9; seasons which have run from 1 Oct into late Jan or even February in recent years. And to the extent that recs have not come close to taking the State's share in those areas do they really need to compile summer harvest numbers before opening a winter season in those areas? Maybe just open the winter season the day after the summer season closes and implement an emergency closure if necessary when summer numbers are compiled.

Edited by Larry B (06/15/19 01:32 PM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)