Not that I'm a legal expert (anymore), this old retired fishcop thinks that the definition of a "Take" requires that the fish that TJ fed the seal was wild, and covered under ESA. Obviously just any old salmon taken under legal conditions and seasons, which I'm sure Tom did, does not amount to a "Take". If there are other issues regarding feeding the sea lion, I don't know much about them. (And don't care)Maybe I'm also guilty of this infraction (not a crime) when I lost two big kings right at the side of my boat near Astoria. The salmon were under my control, almost. Maybe if I'd been more aggressive I could have netted them.

My friend, Riverguy, brings up points about overzealous bureaucrats like DOE not following the intent of the rules, but interpreting them in a way to bolster a personal view. Reminds me of when a few of us law enforcement types at a road block were huddled around a burning barrel late at night in Kid Valley in April trying to stay warm just before St' Helens erupted. DOE employee insisted that we put it out due to burn ban. Just a few miles up the road the mountain is belching sulfur fumes in huge quantities. Ridiculous. I could go on and on.

Years ago WDF pulled large woody debris from the streams, and straightened out meanders. Now we put debris in. We couldn't clean our fish in the rivers, now we do nutrient enhancement. I hope our leaders get more stuff figured out while I'm still alive, and I'm in the Home Stretch of life now.