Originally Posted By: Take-Down
I really preferred the Edmonds Coho Derby back in the day before they added the Everett check-in and made it sort of a bigger (all-day long) deal. I understand it's a money maker for the club, fair enough, but I'd actually pay more per ticket if they'd take it back to a single weigh-in location, limited entry, half day thing. Deadline to weigh fish should be 11:30 am. Prizes should start promptly at 12:00. Max of 5 minutes of speeches, and prizes should be disbursed fast--ideally, completely disbursed in half an hour but for sure completely done by 1:00 pm at the latest. Folks should be able to plan to be out of there at 1:00 pm. If they went to a more compressed schedule and maybe increased the number of mystery fish prizes (no reason there couldn't be several mystery fish weights and prizes of $250 each) I'd pay $50 for a ticket and would be likely to weigh our fish even if they aren't top-ten caliber. (Kids tickets really should be free, like for the Everett derby.)

Back in the day the Port of Edmonds was far more oriented toward the small boat owner.

What you haven't addressed is the practicality of having only one weigh station and that being at the Port of Edmonds. How many guest moorages for derby contestants' boats can the Port accommodate? That was rhetorical.....clearly the answer is not nearly enough.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)