Originally Posted By: Take-Down
Larry B. I think the question is whether the Port can provide enough guest moorage and sling/parking space combined. And, what is "enough" depends on how many people participate. As I recall, the Edmonds Derby used to be a "limited" derby. We tended to buy tickets early because it was possible that they would sell out. I liked that and there were some advantages to the club. From a contestant's perspective, I don't think it matters whether you're competing against 200 people or 500. Just a matter of revenue and size/prize availability. Edmonds Derby would be better if it was smaller and shorter. If there are fewer prizes or a smaller grand prize, that would be fine with me.

I understand that perspective but as you acknowledged it is the club's major fund raiser and that money is put to good use.

FYI the PSA Gig Harbor chapter also holds an annual derby. Fortunately we have been able to have it when the regs allow retention of hatchery Chinook. Between a combination of fewer fish being weighed in and the facilities at Point Defiance being able to handle more trailer boats we have not had a significant congestion problem and could arguably handle more participants.

But to my point. We also have an informal club member only blackmouth outing which is very low key. The "award ceremony" is a boat-in lunch at the Tides Tavern in Gig Harbor.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)