I've been Steelheading Washington for about 13 years now with hundreds of days on the river if not more. I've been a "part" of exactly (2) fish over 20, both from the same system. I've been real close to breaking that 20 pound mark myself, but as the days and fish tick away, I'm less inclined to believe that I ever will join the "club". And that really sucks to think about. Knowing that your #1 bucket list fish is all but out of reach. Not having "ever loved" really, really stinks.

My only consolation is listening to my friends and others share their wonderful stories of really big fish. I love to listen in; share in their enthusiasm and see their faces brighten, but at the same time, I'm crying on the inside.

So when other fisherman talk of not leaving the resource to their kid's kids and future generations, just know that it's not some non-descript date out sometime into the distant future. It's really today and more accurately, yesterday.