Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Steelhead evolved to require repeat spawners. I have seen data from AK and Kamchatka where the run is 50-90% repeats. I had thought, way back, that steelhead were just big trout and letting the whole population spawn once (works well for trout) would work for them. It doesn't. Somehow, we need to find ways to significantly increase the number of repeats along with all the other recovery actions.

It never occurred to me before, but now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense that the repeat spawning life history does a lot to explain how hatchery steelhead programs are so much less productive than salmon programs. I have never heard of hatcheries releasing spawned steelhead to migrate back out to sea, potentially to return and spawn again. I wonder why that is? If you are trying to replenish a natural resource with artificial production, it stands to reason you'll get better outcomes if you mimic, to the greatest extent possible, a natural life history for the species in question. I would imagine an adult steelhead is much more likely to survive another year at sea than a smolt is to survive its first year at sea. By that rationale, repeat spawners probably find their way back to the gravel at a much higher rate than smolts spending their first year(s) at sea.

I don't think gillnetting is a leading cause of the decline, but I do wonder how many rebrights and repeat spawners die trying to migrate back and forth....