Bay Wolf,

Cuts in harvest are unavoidable. By definition, when salmon abundance declines, then harvest must be reduced proportionately. I find that acceptable.

What I find unacceptable is for WDFW to announce that it values transparency and then makes significant decisions out of sight behind closed doors, keeps the means by which the important decision was made unknown. I find it unacceptable for WDFW to announce that the important decision was made for and is necessary for conservation, and then our independent analysis of the data shows that not to be true. In fact the decision was made because the tribes have leverage, through Department piggybacking on the tribal BIA permit, to coerce whatever demands they want on WDFW. The reason that is unacceptable is because it means the Department has made lying a part of official Department policy. Lying is a cover-up for further lack of transparency.

I also find it unacceptable for the Department to bite the hand that feeds it. By that I mean, WDFW expects us to support its full funding requests to fund and operate programs that offer little or no benefit to its constituents who pay the taxes and fees that keep the lights on and the doors open at WDFW. I'm old fashioned and expect to get something (not necessarily personally) for my money. The Department is broken and wants to keep it that way. I don't think that's acceptable. Reduced harvests when fish are less abundant is something I find completely acceptable. And therein is my difference with the Department.

BTW, I just learned that WDFW deems monitoring, like doing spawning surveys, an essential activity. OK, that sounds good to me. And WDFW got support for its supplemental budget request in the recent Legislative session. It's true that as a result of the pandemic, Governor Inslee vetoed some items in that supplemental request. But essential fish and wildlife monitoring was not among the vetoed items. However, WDFW is not planning to perform steelhead spawning surveys in Region 4, the Puget Sound area that includes the Skagit River - the very poster child for the need for funding to conduct essential monitoring in order that we might continue to have fishing. As eyeFISH would say, "GDITMMM!" It's almost like WDFW just can't pass up an opportunity to double cross its otherwise most ardent supporters.