FJ,

Rob makes an important point. There's an educational opportunity for you here. What part of the breakage was not your fault? Using 13# tippet? How were you holding the rod? It may help you to know that even tarpon rods have only 8 or 10 pounds of raw lifting power. Exerting any greater force is likely to result in the rod snapping.

Personnally, I don't think there's anything wrong with Cabella's three forks rods that upgrading will solve. I'd hate to see you spend even more money without learning how to use the rod and then end up with a broken expensive rod (although generous warranties mean the angler doesn't have to learn how to handle his gear.).

Given where you're at on the experience and learning curve, I'd recommend replacing your broken rod with another like it. Cabella's may give you a break, so it could be very worthwhile to check that out first. That's what I would do.

I seem to write a lot of posts recommending against expensive tackle. It's not that I'm against the expensive stuff. I feel there needs to be a counter voice, demonstrating that the fish won't find you lacking if you don't try to spend your way to success. I fished for years with a 8 wt, 8 1/2' fiberglass flyrod I built for about $16. Caught hundreds of steelhead on it, and the fish never knew I wasn't using the most expensive Sage or Loomis available.

I believe it is important to have tackle that is well suited to the purpose. That seldom requires the most expensive stuff available. I have Hardy and Bogdan reels and split cane bamboo rods that are now embarassingly expensive, but I didn't buy them because I thought I might hook or land more fish. I bought them for their aesthetic value.

So unless your dad has nothing better to spend $ on than replacing your broken toys, I think you should see what Cabella's will do for you.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.