Planning ahead is a good idea. If you definately plan to expand your fishing, go with the 4, 6, 8 wt approach. If you expect to battle lots of big steel, chum, and kings - the 5, 7, 9wt approach would be better.

I started out with a 4 and 8wt and i was set for years. Eventually I filled the gap with a 6wt.

In fact, the more I use the 6wt, the more I like it for all around fishing.

The 6 is perfect for SRCs, salt water fishing, bass fishing, bigger trout, summer steelhead, and smaller salmon. The only time I won't have my 6 with me know is winter fishing or specificially targeting kings. Or if i'm targeting little trout in small streams or panfish in lakes - then I go with my 4wt.

You can't go wrong with TFO. If you local shop doesn't have them, check out cabelas.com. TFO professional series is a great starter rod and chances are, you may never want to 'upgrade'. Lifetime warranty is good - you WILL break a rod at some point (probably the tip).

For the reel, I'd recommend saving your money here, and investing in a good quality LINE that is WELL MATCHED with the rod.

A pfluger medalist reel for about $30 is all you really need. The things are tanks, last forever, require minimal maintanence, and if you ever do have one fail, it only costs $30 for another. In fact, buy 2 - one with floating line and one with sinking line - instead of buying an expensive reel and expensive spools that go with it. You may want to check out multi-tip lines and not worry about the extra spools altogether... I use medalist reels (and Ross, but when money is tight, I have not problem buying medalist) and have never had one fail. This includes 20 fish days with big mean chums and fast streaking steelhead and silvers.

TFO pro + Medalist + Good Line = about $200. You won't regret it.