Originally Posted By: Salman
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Originally Posted By: Salman
How technical is the wood? Packing the boat over a pile or picking my way through piles that touch both sides of the boat? Are the boulder gardens going to hit both sides of the boat or do you need the right line?

The "expert oarsman" section of the Sauk is the reach between the Whitechuck River and Darrington, with some technical boulder gardens. That section is not open to fishing during the winter season. The section from Darrington to Bennettville Bridge (Hwy 530) would be pretty easy but for the ever-changing channel braids and logjams and sweepers. And that, I think, is why it takes out a few boats from time to time, because it's pretty easy, except for when it isn't. The section from Bennettville bridge to the mouth has always been pretty easy in my experience and opinion. BTW, there is no take out near the mouth of the Sauk, so if you're there, you're committed to another 4 or 5 miles downstream to Faber's Ferry on the Skagit.

Just what I was looking for! Is the last 4-5 miles pretty fast or will I be rowing?

A boat launching at Darrington typically takes out at Bennettville bridge access. Launch at Bennettville and take out at Native Hole, just upstream of the Old Gov't. Bridge. Launch at Native Hole and take out at Hippy Bar, but that can be difficult. Launch at Hippy Bar and you're stuck going to the mouth and down to Faber's on the Skagit, which can be a long drift. I've exited the mouth of the Sauk into the Skagit in mid-afternoon, only to be met by the upstream breeze. If I'd had a sail, I could just about sail upstream to the nearby Rockport launch, but really not quite. Getting downstream to Faber's requires some rowing.