The old saying was you need a healthy wild stock to have a healthy hatchery stock ( same river ) and always manage for the wild stock or two non integrated stocks. The problem here is in down years for wild you will have users, commercials and rec, screaming they should be harvesting those " surplus " fish. You will have better luck dealing with a rabid dog than a harvester in full kill mode screeching all hatchery fish must die. The simplest answer is the hatchery fish in these years are the inriver rec fishers best years as the commercial side is restrained.

I participated in HSRG and was once told my team's methodology was HSRG before there was an HSRG. The thing is HSRG came at things from a science point of view that was rather idealistic and simply failed to factor in the human side of things with the lofty goals it contained. It did not factor in the demands that mixed stock fisheries, marine and fresh water, place on the creature. Ended up propelling the development of the " habitat restoration industry " rather than drive the needed habitat preservation.

So simple fact is streams the have healthy wild runs need strong protection not just fresh water but most importantly in the marine environment. Streams that are toast just accept it and max out hatchery production. Streams that have some resemblance of the natural order work to stabilize the habitat and the fish. If human intervention is needed to do this be habitat restoration or hatchery supplementation then do that to restore and maintain the run.

So for myself after 40 years working with fish this simple fact. You cannot save every stream or every stock of fish. As a friend once said your 200 years and 4 million people late.