Originally Posted By: Illahee
Originally Posted By: trophymac
I think the down fall of HSRG was when they said their plan would be successful in 500 years..

Actually it went south when people refused to do what they said needed to be done to recover wild stocks.
Fish need cold clean water, the general population doesn't think so.
So surprise surprise fishin about done, well played.
Welcome to the days we have made.

Agree that past, current and likely continuation of habitat degradation will prevent recovery of wild stock (whatever its definition). And especially to numbers sufficient to meet harvest demands.

This whole complex issue of ESA listings and related recovery efforts is muddled with seemingly mixed understandings (or misunderstandings) of terms and goals.

Is the goal to protect and recover existing pure genetic stocks? Or is it to protect naturally spawning stocks (no matter their relationship to the original genetics of individual river systems)?

My initial understanding was that it was to recover those remnant pure genetic stocks. Then came information that in reality the goal is to allow current stocks (with genetics likely altered by years of out of basin plantings) to evolve over time. That is particularly true with Puget Sound Chinook.

With my current understanding (right or wrong) I am leaning toward accepting a reality that the "wild fish" goal is vague at best and that hatchery production is the only way to generate anywhere near the number of fish (particularly P.S. Chinook) required to satisfy all of the requirements for those fish; human and other.

Pragmatic or caving in??

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)