The weir that is the Barrier Dam has remained in place during the construction. If anything, the weir is even harder for summer runs to jump because all the flow is concentrated to one-half the full width. This raises the height that a fish would have to jump even higher. This is probably a good thing because they probably have the "electric fence" that is embedded in the weir crest turned off during the construction work. I'm guessing about that, but I think it's a good guess because part of the work is to replace the weir crest. I make this comment because, in the past, when the electric fence was turned off, summer steelhead were known to be able to jump and clear the Barrier Dam, so they ended up in the river reach between Barrier Dam and Mayfield Dam.

The upshot is that the Barrier Dam is functioning pretty normally during the construction project, and fish stacking up below it move to either side and locate one of the fish ladder entrances that lead to the fish separator where they are collected for the hatchery. Most of the over 1300 summer steelhead collected so far this year have been recycled downstream to the I-5 boat launch.