I have no quarrel with investing in non-game management. However, I thought that was already occurring. In the 1980s, the WA Legislature authorized vanity license plates, with the proceeds going to the then new non-game species management section created at WDG. I read that it was an unbelievable success. Staff at WDG/WDW reported that non-game suddenly became the best and most stable funded section of fish and wildlife management in the state.

Subsequently the Legislature authorized vanity license plates for other purposes as well, with that funding earmarked for those particular purposes. What I don't know is whether that diluted the non-game funding. Has non-game funding declined over the last 30 years? I've read nor heard nothing one way or the other. The article makes it sound like non-game funding is starting from zero.

As for non-consumptive uses, yes, non-game should be incorporated with game fish and wildlife management. Throwing the traditional hook and bullet fraternity under the bus is the Department's management trend that I disagree with, mainly because of the disingenuous way the Department goes about it.

As for transforming the management purpose of the agency, that's a whole 'nuther question. Change won't come easy to the Washington Department of Salmon, a designated "food" fish, lest we forget what this is all about.