Originally Posted By: 32mm
Something about the loudest and most organized being heard rings true as I read about this week of action up in King (Inslee) County next week:

https://wawildlifefirst.org/event/howling-for-change-a-week-of-wildlife-action/

And we wonder why our hunting and fishing is going away.

Yikes! So I'm curious to know how this group would like to manage wildlife. No hunting? No control? Should we allow wolves, cougars, and bears to reach the maximum populations sizes that WA's highly modified ecosystem can support?

I think WDFW actually does a decent job of "threading the needle" on wolf management. Some ranchers and hunters would like zero wolves, and some delusional wildlife advocates like this group appears to be would like unlimited wolves. The prey search image of wolves is typically ungulates like deer and elk, and some times bison, moose, or carabou, they are adaptable to a lot more than just farm livestock. If wolves were to reach ecosystem population numbers, they would prey upon dogs and cats and pretty much every animal they could catch. I bet the popular support for wolf recovery would fizzle out rapidly if small children couldn't wait outside by the road for the school bus if wolves became numerous and hungry.

Kinda' the same with cougars. Cougar attacks on humans were basically unheard of for nearly 100 years. Now it's become only slightly surprising when it happens. Unlimited human populations growth and unlimited predator population growth can only lead to some very interesting predator - prey stories.

In my opinion, good conservation management only pleases those who understand ecology. Everyone else will be disappointed.