Hey, a subject I know well. I'd go with a steelheader. They're the best boat for the money.

Ok, I have owned about 5-6 different cats (I still have my 9ft Steelheader and 16ft Aire). I've owned a couple different Outcasts and a few no namers. I've run Buck's Bags and a couple Misc... There are some big differences in them.

The big thing is overall design. All the other boats out there (except your true whitewater type catarafts like Wing, Aire, Maravia, Sotar, NRS, and the likes) are built on a different style tube. They will run water ok (even some whitewater) but in a stability scale they're very low. When I say this, I mean in an anchoring up way. In no other boat (except your bigger Outcasts) can you fish standing up. My Steelheader will sit in pockets (even pretty hard rushing water) while at anchor and I can stand up safely and fish. My outcasts were merely vessels to get me from point A to point B. The bucks I used were about the same. Then when you come to serious whitewater the steelheader well overlooks the others. It's extremely stable and runs rapids like the big boys. I'd never own anything less. Plus it's a boat made for fishermen. From the way it's made to come apart to the anchor systems and standing platform you're set. I've even run plugs on my Steelheader, though it's not easy.

I'd say go for it. But if you really have the money, buy up to the II or III. You get more boat that can cover more water. Plus you can safely take passengers too. But, for the money, I'd say if you want a 9' go for the Steelheader. If you want a bigger boat, let me know. I can send you in the right direction....

------------------
you haven't lived til you've rowed a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

Northwest River Fisherman