Hey Spoony, you really need to decide on what you want the boat for. As salmontackler had said, the buck's bag is less money and lighter. If you only plan to use this boat for floating from point A to B on slow/mod rivers then maybe that would be your best bet. I personally like to be able to fish from my boat without having to beach and fish. (I've caught fish in my boat standing up, found it's easier to fight standing up then from the seat) But if you want a sturdier more durable boat that's good through just about any condition you can find then I'd go with the Steelheader. Also if you actually want to fish from the boat, you'll want the Steelheader.

Salmontackler, which river did you try the Steelheader on and what was the problem? I guess my history with cats sprung from actually whitewatering, not fishing, so I prefer whitewater boats. The tubes and frame on a buck's isn't as sturdy or built to cut water like a whitewater boat. Their tubes are too rounded. Makes great maneuverability, but bad stability. As I've said, and Os will back me up, you get what you pay for in inflatables (cats, kayaks, and rafts). You rarely get a good boat for cheap (and it's rare to get a good all around quality boat for under $1000 that's brand new and whitewater rated with durable frame). I've owned enough and have priced them to know. A good quality set of smaller tubes from any major manufactures will run you nearly $700 (I'm talking in 7-8ft length). Your top quality Outcasts are built by Aire. But, so people don't say then why do you say don't row Outcasts. I'll explain. Aire makes tubes for a few different companies, but they build them to the companies specifications and with a lighter material usually. That's why the bigger Outcasts have the same diameter (and same smaller diameter frame) as the little boats.

In the end, it's your call. You need to decide what you want this boat for and what you have to have in features.

------------------
you haven't lived til you've rowed a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

Northwest River Fisherman