This probably isn't what you're going to want to hear. But take it for what it is worth from someone who is in the photographic wholesale business and fishes. Use a quality 35mm camera and a quality scanner (negative or flat bed is fine) for the following reasons:
1. You'll get better image quality in general. (you'll want a poster of that 28 lb Steelie.) This will no doubt cause debate amoung the digital converts, but it is true none the less.
2. Its cheaper. A good 35mm camera and scanner is still less than a comparable digital camera alone.
3.Digital cameras and water don't mix. Some 35mm are water resistant or proof.
4. Digital cameras are battery hogs and it's one more thing to have to keep topped off and plugged in. I have enough to do just to keep my gear in the water and my boat running.
5. Negatives are still more archival. Plus with a scanner you have digital and film storage. Digital is only digital.
6. Fishing, golf and church are analog by nature, best enjoyed sans cell phones, palm pilots and networked computers.

Don't get me wrong, digital is great for many things and it's getting better all the time. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for general use, but for fishing, the truth is, it is basically OVERBOARD.

Good luck and tight lines.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”