Last Fall a friend of mine was laid off. By the end of November he had his back to the wall and I loaned him a few thousand.

He more or less jokingly (I thought) gave me his new (purchased last summer) Sage XP 896 Rod,Billy Pate Salmon Reel flyrod outfit, an Odyssey 13.5 ft raft and a 1 year old Buck's Bags SouthFork pontoon boat as collateral.

Now he informs me that his financial situation is such that he doesn't know when/if he will be able to repay me and want's me to sell his gear to get my money back.

I was inclined to just hang on to his stuff until he was back on his feet, but then -

The boss (the real one, as in spouse) found out that the money I used came from funds set aside for a trip/class she is going to take at the end of February and is more than a little upset with me. When I mentioned keeping his gear she informed me that I didn't need 14 fly rods and certainly didn't need any more rafts/boats etc.

Now I know that another fly rod could get lost in the clutter, but its kind of hard to overlook a 13' gray raft on the breezeway.

So what do you think. Should I sell, or try to hold on to his gear for him.

If it was your gear what would you want done?

If you had loaned the money what would you do?

Thanks,

Wes