I've been using a cardboard box over the smoker for the past 20 years without a problem. I make sure the cardboard box is about 8 inches shorter than the smoker so it doesn't interfere with the chip pan hole. I don't moisten my chips...the whole idea behind smoking is to remove excess moisture. I generally use 2 pans of chips in the first 3 hours of smoking. I finish my batches in about 4-6 hours depending on meat thickness. Even an entire filet side from an 8 lb fish only takes me 6 hours. I found that when my bayches lingered on for 10-14 hours that the temp was to low and the fish developed large cracks without the inside being done. I believe a smoker should operate in the 160 degree range for hot smoking. Cardboard shouldn't burn until around 450 degrees as long as you keep it far enough from the pan of embers.

I found this on the Luhr Jensen link "Flavor smoke is NOT needed for the entire curing cycle. Two or three pans full usually are sufficient. Empty the pan, place it back on the element and just use heat to finish the curing process.

It is important that you understand the difference between the smoking and drying portions of the processing cycle. In many cases, a particular recipe calls for a total drying time of 6 to 12 hours or more, while at the same time saying to use only two pans full of flavor fuel. This means your smokehouse will only be "smoking" for about two hours, but the food will need more drying time to complete the curing process".

I also avoid overfilling the chip pan so I don't spill chips that can cause a fire.

I also have my smoker setting on ceramic tiles to lessen fire danger.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: R Ridgeway ]