Mike, I just went thru the same decision and ordered a TH rod. I wanted another dual purpose strong steelhead/light chinook rod in a casting level wind reel version to augment a like 9 1/2 footer I have in a TH Custom Rods/Rainshadow blank spinning rod for float fishing. I opted for the same thing in TH's casting version for drift fishing. Rainshadow blanks have a modulous between the GL3 & IMX loomis rods. They will cut a 1263 Rainshadow blank (10.5' rated for 8 to 15 lb.) down to a 9.5 rated for 8 to 17 lb. line, and get slightly faster action as well. They only cut a short bit off the tip of the 15 to make it identical to the tip diameter of the 17 lb. rods. It will be a great fall and spring rod when both steelies and 'nooks are in at the same time. I'll use 15 lb. UG leader when there's some color to the water, otherwise 12 lb. leader for clearer water. This worked great with the float rod. btw, I'm 6'3" so the 9 1/2' works well for me. For guys under 6' they may want to consider the 10.5 for float fishing. Either a 9.5, 9, or 8.5 are all good for drift fishing; but the 9.5 can cover both fishing styles well, so it's a good compromise length too. Good luck with your decision.

RT