Ryan -
I'm sure that we both agree that WSR is not a magic bullet for steelhead recovery. My conern is that some do believe so. WSR was first used to gain access to hatchery fish while having low impacts on wild stocks that were in low abundance. The use of WSR outside of the period when hatchery fish is around is just method of allocating the impacts on the wild resource. Restoring wild population productivity lies elsewhere.

You state that you have no problem with allowing harvest of Snohomish pinks; especially when it is "obvious that a wild population can substain a harvest". With salmon harvest has been allowed when it is expected that escapement goals will be met. Over the last decade the Snohomish pinks have met its goal less than half of the time while the Quillayute winter steelhead have met their goal 90% (maybe 100%) of the time.

You stated: "I do not have a problem with a total state wide release on wild salmoids, BUT is it neccessary?? Will it solve the problems?? I doubt it..."

My point exactly. I don't have a problem with total state wide WSR but is it necessary? Will it solve the problems? I doubt it.

There can only be a few if any other anadromous salmonid stocks in the state that have as consistently exceed the MSH escapement goal or by as much (as mesured as a % of the goal) as Quilluyate winter steelhead.

My point is what is biologically unique about steelhead that doesn't apply to the other salmonids?

Tight lines
Smalma