I know that the directions on the back of the package say to use a stiff 15-20lb mono for the 3" BBs, but I fish Pt. No Pt. in the fall and see no reason to fish any heavier than 10 or 12. What lines do you guys use?
Also I was wondering if any of you guys who fish buzz bombs have experimented with using a bead in place of the black rubber stopper?
As for the whole idea about snagging with BBs, I truly think it's possible to fish the jig horizontally and not look like a snagger. In my opinion it all depends on the speed the lure travels in the water and how much force you're using to rip that BB through the water. I've jigged for salmon from the beach for several yrs and have hooked all my fish in the mouth. Almost all my fish were hooked when they hit the jig on the fall.
Yes, I too am guilty of having used BBs in the lower portion of the river, but my hand, mind coordination seems to have prevented me from snagging fish because although in the back of my mind I was a little exicted at the thought of snagging one, my hands operated my lure in the same mechanical fashion which entails, a smooth lift of the rod, reeling the slack, repeating. So thus I rationalize not having been snagging. And no I didn't get any that day.
Got another question about rigging. Siwash or salmon/steelhead hook? Hook color? Straight or curved point? Anyone know what the catch ratios are for treble and single?
Oh yeah, one more thing, if you haven't already found out, GiJoes has buzz bombs on sale for $1.88!!! Dirt cheap, buy 'em while they last. thumbs
Uh.... one last question, has anyone ever used a 4" from the beach?