Aunty –
A fair enough question-

What HARM will WSR do?

The question likely needs some clarification – harm to what?

Harm to steelhead? While there should be no direct harm to steelhead there is some potential for indirect harm in a couple of ways. 1) Many feel that this moratorium is a conservation tool – it is not, for more than 20 years WSR has been a management tool to provide angler opportunities on hatchery fish while minimizing impacts on the wild fish of concern. 2) Many in the angling world and the non-fishing public may view the statewide moratorium on the retention as a magic bullet to cure what ails our steelhead populations – believe it or not; not everyone reads this bulletin board. 3) Some anglers may feel that it would be OK to continue to fish stocks in severe trouble as long as it was under WSR – even though at some point no fishing should be allowed. 4) Some folks would see this an opportunity to extend fishing time by either wanting to fishing after the hatchery fish are done or by encouraging the planting of hatchery fish in what may be inappropriate situations. Are any of these enough to negate the potential benefits from this approach – probably not but they do point out the need for continued education of the angling public. There reality is that WSR has been the normal for maybe 95% of our wild steelhead populations and it has helped none – so is it a help?

Will it likely reduce the diversity of anglers fishing for steelhead? Yes, it is likely that some “bonkers” may drop out of the fishery, at least seasonally. Is that a harm – depends on ones viewpoint however for me it is a loss as we lose a portion of our angler base. Clearly many feel it is a gain but is that because they now have a large piece of the pie for their own interest?

This has been as divisive as an issue for the angling community as we have seen for sometime. Given the general apathy and natural division within the community this is a harm.

Does this establish a management standard of sweeping strategies for resources that may be in trouble? For example halibut at one time were common in Puget Sound and even supported a commercial fishery. Given that they are now rare should we institute a statewide prohibition on all halibut fishing? Ling cod? All marine water salmon fisheries? This has a large potential for reduce angler opportunity - a harm.

Just my opinions – It is for each of us to weight these and other factors and decide for ourselves whether this largely symbolic gesture (provides some marginal benefits in a very limited area) worth the risks. As I have said before it is large a question of how much risk and what kind of risk one is comfortable with. However it is my hope that now that the moratorium is here folks and put it behind us (at least for the next two years) and focus on some of the more important issues facing our steelhead that we are all so passionate about.

Tight lines
S malma