Back in town from fishing Mike so I can field your question now. Clacks are set up for fly fishing. If you asked which boat I would want on the south fork of the snake I would want a Hyde G4 with a low profile... but it would kill me to pay that much for one. A Clackacraft would not hold up to the day to day pounding that a steelhead boat takes. I like Aluminum boats because they can hack it. I have an old Alumaweld that has caught 500 steelhead. and is still on the rivers today ( I went through two trailers on that boat, and both were crap ) I have a new Willies and its a sweet boat with an excellent trailer. Had no problems with buying it either, they treated me well over there. Other boats I have been in that looked good to me were Thors, Diamondbacks and FishRites. I have been in a lot of glass boats and they just are not worth that kind of money... At the Hyde factory in Idaho Falls, they have a Clack cut in half to show the difference between it and a Hyde... seems to me they are both over priced. Bottom line is, get what makes you happy. I have never had a bad day in a drift boat regardless of the make. One of my freinds has a Clack, and several have Hydes and I enjoy them ( fly fishing ) For pulling plugs, my Willies is set up a lot better and is the current boat of choice. And for an extended river trip where you have to pack a lot of dry bags etc, its the only choice. A couple of things you " do not want " in your new boat if you are going to be fishing most often for steelhead / salmon. 1> The leaner in the front on a Hyde or Clack will be totally in your way all the time. 2> A fish box. Unless its really cold outside just put a 120 quart cooler behind the rowers seat and thats perfect. Why anyone would put a fish that they value in a sliding fish box under the seat is beyond me.

Fact is, the Willies is just getting cleaned out for yet another 5 days of fishing starting wednesday. The other boat that will be going with us this time is a FishRite. We will be floating from corn creek on the Salmon to Heller bar on the Snake. 137 river miles in 5 days... with a 300 mile shuttle