Quote:
Originally posted by Ikissmykiss:

The Skagit is the biggest river in the state besides the Columbia. Why not pump a million brats into it that come back in Nov, Dec, and Jan? Then in Feb, Mar, and April a decent return of nates come back. What more could you want?
That would be wonderful! But in order to have that, you have to get the folks in Olympia to let loose the $$$ to fund such a thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ikissmykiss:
I'm sure the Skagit County guys are screaming "don't turn it into another Cow!". But I think this very large system can handle the extra fish and the extra fishing pressure. I'm sure the terminal fishery would be a lot more fishing friendly than Blue Creek. Ike
As far as "more friendly"..ever hit the Cascade on "Combat" day?

Yes, it is a big river and could likely handle the pressure, but it ALREADY gets a lot of pressure on the existing stocks. I doubt we would see that great of an increase in fishermen (overall) if the return was 200k instead of 2000.

Keep in mind, that if they did, in fact, release a couple million smolt, that they would be set loose at a variety of sites throughout the Skagit system, not all coming out of the Marblemount/Cascade area. This would lessen the pressure on each release area...instead of concentrating 99% of it at the Cascade, where it is now.

BTW, there are some catchable fish in the river now...but ya got to know just where to look, (and it ain't where you would expect).

My two cents worth...

Mike