Quote:
Originally posted by skydriftin:
Mike B,water has been up & down every where ,still the other rivers have been much better than the Skagit system,big river with lots to hide? recent years this systems % return is unacceptable,just because the Skagit is in your back yard doesn't justify the smolt plant it receives,a nagging question- you right there-how many bright upriver,winter brats have you caught?
If you live within about 50 miles, this river is in your backyard too. Smolt plants need to increase, and factors such as commercial and native nets, etc. need to be reduced (or eliminated, if I had my way). I believe the Skagit broodstocks come from some of the same stocks that are used in other hatcheries..so it ain't the fish.

As for this year, water levels have been higher than normal, and as someone said, the fisha re blasting right back to the Cascade, and the other spots where they plant.

Speaking for myself, I have had only one serious trip this year for brats).

See:

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000792

Some things (very damn few, to be honest) are far more important to me than chasing steelhead. This is one of them. Been at the hospital nearly all day (as I have for every day in the last 2 weeks) and, at the moment, could care less if there wasn't a fish for a hundred miles.

I do wish you a successful years brat-attacking, and a Merry Christmas!

Mike B