Originally Posted By: meat pie
I lost my elk this year unfortunatly. A really nice 7x7 I've must of put in atleast 18hrs so far searching for it. It also had no blood trail. I've combed the area with 2 of my friends. I saw the arrow stick from 40 yards away it didn't scatter and break down every tree in its path, it just stuck with another Bull that it was with. I hit it a little high about a foot 1/2 behind the shoulder blade above the stomach. I used 220 grain arrows and thunder head broad heads. NO BLOOD!! I've put in so much time and can't find any sign. My caller /spotter for some reason was not paying attention when I took the shot (I still to this day don't understand why). I had 3 other Bulls bunched up at that time when I took the shot they scattered in every direction so finding prints took me every where. Has anyone took a shot like this and had similar results, I don't understand. Please no shots at myself, I feel really horriable about it. Any advise on how to prevent this from happening would be great. The shot was definatly not a Hail Mary It was pretty close to perfect when I took it. I understand every situation is different but maybe another persons story may lead me to my Elk that has most likely started decomposing in the woods. Or hopefully living. I still want to find it because it sure was big.
7x7 are typically massive but this one was in a league of its own.

Thanks.

However Its terrible to hear about this. What unit? and are you still looking? If you are on the westside I would be willing to help.

Anyway I found a dead 5x4 mulie a archer lost in CA X3A. The thing was a beast 26 inches wide. I was washing my knife in a little spring and looked over and saw a dead deer under a fir tree.

Also, One of the guys I work with shot (rifle) a 5x6 elk in colorodo with a arrow hanging out of it. Looked like it had been there for weeks.

Its possible you didn't kill it. IE that it has a injury that it can/will recover from.

JY

Edited by tunaklr (09/29/07 09:31 PM)

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA