If you worked in a butcher shop, than you already know that the only thing an electric sharpener will do is to remove a large amount of metal off of the existing blade. Usually reforms the edge in doing so.

From there, it usually takes some human intervention with either a stone or a steel(s) to hone the edge, etc.

I've got an electric sharpener from Le French. It's labeled "Cuisine De France. Sabatier."

It will reform any messed up blade. Takes off a ton of metal. But, for what it does, it does it well. I'd never run a good knife through it, but for your Dad, it would work.

It's not electric, but it is a kit. It's the Gatco "Edge-Mate Professional Knife Sharpening System."

Takes some human intervention, but it does work well. Again, I only use this on knives that need a new edge, etc. Although, it comes with various stones and can sharpen just about anything.

I've used butcher steels all my life. My Great Uncle was a butcher. I just don't damage my knives to the state where I have to re-define the edge. Just a few whacks on some steel(s) of various strengths and the knife is better than new.