After applying for 11 years my son Matt,and I got drawn for Margaret Muzzleloader bull permits.Most of the area these permits cover are in the Mt St Helens blast zone.

We have been going up and scouting 3 very large drainages regularly since getting drawn 2 months or more ago.It was walk in only so we put a lot of hours and miles on our boots.

This area is filthy thick with elk.Seeing 30 Branch bulls a day would probably be an average day.Seems like mostly 5x5s.Quite few forked horns ,and a rare 6x6 or bigger.

The areas we were scoutin we watched a 6x6,and a 6x7,almost every time in.We did see a 7x7 or 8 once.Plus countless forked horns and 5xs.

The week or so before our opener we knew where we wanted to be.And what elk we were after.We had their areas pretty well figured out.The weekend before our opener we went up to scout again.Weyco opened the land up to vehicle access.So we drove in and figured we would check as much area as we could.

Well,thats when all of our scouting went down the tubes.We got into the first 2 drainages and the area was swarming with crews cutting fir boughs,and a helicopter was flying them out. We saw a total of 2 elk in an area we had been seeing a hundred or more in.

Talk about a let down!We knew we would find more elk.But not the ones we wanted.

After that our plan was to drive and spot till we saw decent bulls.Which we saw.But they werent as good as the ones we had scouted.About mid day we spotted a herd with a nice bull.But they spooked lower into the drainage.I knew there was a skid road that went down and parraleled the lower portion of the drainage.So we decided to see if we could cut them.As we worked our way down the trail we cut a few cows.We crouched down and waited to see if the bull would come through.We decided the if it worked we would both shoot on 3.Sure enough here he come.Stops broadside at a hair over a 100 yds.Matt counts 1...2...3 boom,click.The bull stands there a few seconds,then walks over the hill.Matt missed completely and my cap had fallen off and I never noticed it.

Hoo boy.

We head into the brush to see if we can find him again,but ended up walking clear around him.Time to call it a day and head in.

The next morning we meet at the house and are getting ready to go.I look at the sights on Matts m/l and see the fiber optics on the rear sight are broke.A peice is missing,but they are still functional.My Brother in law is looking at them and discovers the sights are also loose. So I grab a target and we plan on resighting as soon as we get a chance.

We get up to the far side of the drainage to glass the area we were in the day before.Spot the bull again and decide to go put on a stalk.But first we are going to get that gun sighted in.While I'm glassing Matt sets up to shoot.I hear his cap go off but no powder.This happens 3 times.Yikes.
Then it dawned on me that he cleaned his gun the night before and probably didnt get all the moisture.Sure enough thats the problem.We dissasemble clean and reload his m/l.He shots it a few times and its on!

I felt so bad for my boy,I knew how upset he was over all this stuff happening.But I tried to reasure him he'll get another chance.Its a good thing we saw that bull again.It really helped lift his spirit.

Matt and I went over to the other side of the drainage and My Brother in law spotted for us from about a mile and a half away.After about an hour or so of workin our way through the 20 year old noble fir he told us we were about 50 yards below and 30 yards to the right of the bull.I told Matt to keep easing up how he was going and I would drop down and over a hair in case they head down the hill on us.I go about 20 yards and look up.2 cows are looking at me.Uh oh,I'm made.As soon as this disheartening thought goes through my head I hear it! Boom!!!!.I see the bull jump up.Then stagger and drop.He's down. Everything went perfect. Nice 5 by 6

Fortunately we had a couple thousand feet of mule tape and a couple snatch blocks.Sure beats packing!

Monday its just me and Matt.Were into a ton of bulls.A nice one gives me the slip 2 or 3 times.We head home after a long day.I'm kinda bummed but know I have plenty of time left.

Tuesday We head up and see a nice bull in the morning.After a futile stalk we head to where we were seeing the one on Monday.We are looking over a bluff where there were 2 herds below and a herd behind us.I tell Matt I cant believe there arent any elk down there and head to the truck.Right then he says there they are.They were so tight to the bluff we just couldnt see them till the filed out further.

As Matt spots for me I work from bluff to bluff trying to see them.After about a frustrating 2 hour stalk I finally get to where a couple cows are in a small opening directly below me.
Matts telling me that the main herd is past me,but I just cant see how.I'm thinking his perception is off because of the distance and angle.I wait for about 15 minutes watching these cows,in hopes my bull will come out.Then I heard him bugle a few hundred yards past me.Back to making up ground.The only good thing is that hes headed for a nice opening of about an acre.The bad thing is I have to cross a couple open draws to get there.

I cant believe I made it without being busted by the cows.As I try to get into position I look into the edge of the opening and heres a forked horn and a couple cows.Where the heck is the bigger 1?I manouver over and down about 20 yards and start galssing.Theres a bull.But cant tell which one.He finally turns and starts to 1/4 away.Its the bigger 1 and hes giving me a great shot.I aim,squeeze the trigger,Boom.H'es down!!! Got him at a hair over a 100 yards right behing the shoulder.Nice 4x5.A little wider and taller than the kids.

It really worked out good ,cause by then he was about a 100 yards from a rd. We were able to get him to a high bank,back up and load him whole.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP15456.jpg

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP15455.jpg
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP15454.jpg

Most of the pics of Matts are on a different camera.I'll try to get up one or 2 good ones tomorrow.

This ended up being the funnest most exciting hunt I've ever been on.Great memories.

HntnFsh

Edited by HntnFsh (10/12/07 12:34 PM)