m_ray-

Well the hunt went OK. We started off seeing lots of deer 20-50 in a morning. My buddies dad killed a average 3x3 with eye guards(mulie) My buddy and I both missed nice whitetail bucks. Long story but I will give the short version.

We bedded the 2 bucks down right below a dirt field in grass that was over our heads. We would have never seen them if we hadn't seen them before they bedded. They were 1200 yds away. We crawled on all 4's to 211yds. Were we waited, and waited, and waited for the bastards to get up. It was in the low 70's and we were getting pelted by the sun. I we desided to take a shot at them bedded. Well we both missed.

Then the weather changed. Snow, wind , and rain. The deer just flat out disapeared. We didn't see near the animals the next 2 day. And we were hiking canyons not just glassing. So the 6 of us packed up and headed home to hunt Blacktails.

On a side note for the second year in a row we saw tons of nice fork and horns. Last year we were saying, "oh next year it's going to be good". Most everyone we talked to hadn't seen a legal mule deer. We are hunting in the area of the Columbia complex fire from 2 years ago. Anyone have a idea as to why we are not seeing a mulie bucks? We did see twice as many deer this year as last. Maybe we just need more time for the area to recover.

Edited by fishmaster (10/20/07 12:27 PM)