Sol,
The spike only regs has really shut down the number of hunters, at least where I have been trying to bow hunt. The elk numbers are way up where I am hunting, but I guess are down area wide. In any case, I have never seen another archer while in the field, and may see only 2 or 3 different rigs in my entire area. I accessed the area with my car last year (so it isn't like it is hard to get to) and I have seen elk every day, all within 10 minute of the road. Problem is, it is spike only. Multiple herds, lot of cows, a few good bulls, and maybe, maybe one spike seen. I should look up the numbers because I doubt the archers are getting many, if any, unless they have any any bull tag. Great place to hunt now, but harvesting one is a different story.

Deer slayer,
I have seen elk on every open road going out of ellensburg into the Naneum.
I was runnning into too many hunters in the Manatash area one year, so I decided to head over there for a day hunt. I just headed up the first road I found and found elk all over. I have explored a little, but since I found large numbers why keep looking around. Nothing special there, during archery season they are everywhere. Probably a little more scare during rifle season. There are lots of gun hunters so I would try to find an area that leads into one of the many closed off canyons and set up there waiting for something trying to escape. Other than that be prepared to hike a couple of miles down into one of those canyons.
During deer season two years ago I couldn't walk more than a few minutes without running into someone. Tried the road closures only to still see quads. I heard it may be worse during rifle elk.
Good luck.