Originally Posted By: milt roe
Horse clams are great for chowder and fritters. Better yet, a mix of several kinds.

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
Keta:
Beleive it or not I really do know a bit about clamming in Washington. I have been doing it for about, 55 years. When I began, as a kid, we had no limits, or none anyone cared about. Every summer we woud have a big clam bake with 30-50 folks over to feast on the hundereds of pounds of clams we dug.

Dave - Would be great to have a description of how to prepare a clam bake. I remember one as a kid - clams, corn on the cob, potatoes - but I wouldn't want to waste a bunch of clams based on a guess of how to do one. You know of any good "how to"s? I've got plenty of clams, just no idea how to do it right.

Invite me over and I will supervise the bake!

It's been a few years, but this is what I remember.

We dug a pit about three by six by one and a half feet deep. Filled it with firewwoed and burned down to hot coals. (Maybe two to three hours) Once we had a deep bed of hot coals we covered them with rocks.(I'm sure good ole dirt would be fine.) We them added six to of seaweed, then the clams, oysters, corn, potatoes, etc. then lots more seaweed then a layer of burlap then some dirt. About 30 miuntes to an hour latewr the clams, and all the rest are ready.

I have done this without a keg, but it's much better with.

I bet you could have a PP clambake that would result in lots of seafood etc.

Edited by Dave Vedder (07/07/08 08:41 PM)