I am a drift gear bottom bouncer… corky, yarn and pencil lead type. However, I have been spending some time fishing with floats this summer and have really enjoyed the fishability of this technique for certain conditions. most of the water I am fishing this time of year is super clear- unlimited visibility, etc. last time out I was fishing eggs with yarn only- 1 or 2 split shots about 12-18” above my bait/ hook and then 36-42” leader with 2 split shots above the barrel swivel. thill balsa float above that. it looks like my bait is floating naturally- which I like in shallower stretches, but also makes it kind of tough to detect bites in deeper water. I fished one stretch where the water was probably around 10’ at the deepest and kept getting my bait robbed without detecting anything on the float or line (and yes, I am keeping my mainline off the water and my float is straight up and down). sometimes I could see the smolt/ cutthroat grabbing my eggs, but could not feel it on the line or detect it on the float. Was wondering whether a weighted cheater (dark color, black in high visibility conditions) would help my presentation stay down near the bottom- and whether the taught line would result in better detection of the activity on my bait? anybody mess with weighted cheaters? or have an alternative to rigging? see the image below for my current set-up...

Thanks!

Attachments
Float Diagram 01.jpg