The only time I use a baitcasting reel for float fishing is for power float fishing during high flows using large bait weights and jigs. Any other time espesially summer I'am using a spinning reel with medium to light action 101/2' spinning rods. Some of the reasons I prefer a spinning real for float fishing medium to low river flows are, I can feed line out with an open bail as I'am mending at the same time, I can't do this with a baitcaster. It is alot easier to feed line out with open bail to extend the float drift at low river flows with a spinning reel. A spin outfit is needed to cast light line, small jig, small float set up. Always open and close your spinning bail manually, never by turning the handle. As far as setting the hook on a float take down free spooling line with an open bail, quickly close the bail manually and reel all slack line as fast as possible till tight to fish and set the hook quickly by swinging the rod low towards your bank. Can be a little tricky doing the spinning real open bail hook set, but can be done. You are going to miss a few float take downs, but that's part of the game.