You know Jason. You're kind of funny.

You ask what has changed. That should be an easy one for you.

The Samish is only an example of the pressure we all face if we want to fish.

In general our culture has changed to where we are a Greener society. That means that land owners who may have tolerated garbage before most likely now recycles. Many are struggling to make ends meat.

Over time more & more private access has been cut, bringing more & more people to the areas still open. With those people (some of different cultures) come more problems and in some cases more costs for the land owner.

So from a land owners side, many whom over the years have been ever so gracious to allow access, they have to be saying "why am I doing this".

They owe us nothing. We owe them our gratitude. Problem is there are people who don't care or understand. They think taking a sh.. in the middle of a parking area (on private property), leaving their pile of sh.. & toilet paper is ok. They aren't smart enough to think "maybe I should use the honey buckett or at least go on the side, in the tall grass". Instead they leave it for someone else to pick it up.

So what it comes down to in many cases is the land owner asking themselves. "What do I do"? In the case of the Samish, they chose to keep access on a limited pay basis. By the farm, past the Prison in Monroe, they just put up a big fence with a lot of NO TRESPASSING signs.

So the answer to your question is TIME & PEOPLE!!! That is what changed.