Wow, hunting season is upon us already. I was out shopping with my wife on Sunday for my birthday, and she was wanting to get me some hunting rain gear. This is gear for deer hunting, I have plenty of duck stuff.

I just couldn't justify the prices for the "quiet" rain gear, because even though they were "quiet" they weren't as quiet as the fleece, wool, or microtex I usually wear. Didn't pass the fingernail test.

On a typical wet day, I just bring 2 sets of clothes. I go out knowing that I'll get damp but the fleece will keep me warm enough. If I make it back to the rig before dark, I might change and go out again. It sucks to get wet through your shoulders, but I don't want to overheat.

On cold and wet days I have a River's West jacket. It is quiet and waterproof, but it is also heavy and you sweat bad if you aren't layered perfect for what you are doing.

The problem with not wearing waterproof gear, is sitting on stand. I typically carry a folded 18x18 chunk of camp pad to keep my rump dry, but this limits me to sitting when it is wet out. Sometimes you can just park on a hill side laying on your back, and that is when I wish I was wearing rain gear.

What do you all suggest? Stick to wool/fleece or buy expensive raingear?